New head gasket and valves, Now white smoke

vocky

Staff
it is quite easy to do, much simpler than pulling the head off, so it's worth doing and hopefully this will fix your issue.

Do not forget to clean out the piston ring grooves, break an old ring in half and use that to help clean them out. Especially the oil ring grooves.

Any questions just ask on here, I could probably build one of these engines with my eyes closed :LOL:

ok Thanks for your help.

If the genie granted my one question and one question only, it would be this....

Can you come and do mine with your eyes closed lol.

Anyway, all the oil is flushed out as previously suggested, so guess i need to start tomorrow stripping out the sump. Keeps me off the streets i guess

vocky

Staff
There are also two 19mm bolts holding the sump to the gearbox, remember which goes where ! (short bolt should go to the lower gearbox mount side)

Vocky. Please be my little ray of sunshine on a dark and dreary Sunday.

Will i need new head gasket and bolts or will the ones fitted two days ago and only run on idle be ok to use?:nailbiting:

vocky

Staff
Head bolts are scrap, head gasket will depend if it's melted or not.
If it comes off clean it should be okay, if it leaves some gasket behind its scrap.
Head set on ebay are £65 and genuine parts

Do you have a how 2 for changing rings?

do i need to set gaps? and i guess it is a good idea to wet and dry the bores before replacing

Hi,

Head and sump stripped today. Pistons are marked with the following numbers:
7911 m1631

Are they standard sized pistons?

Last edited:

IDI AMIN

The pistons will be standard if it is just a standard engine you order piston rings according to engine code which should be z22se
I think majority of piston rings are a little over the standard size to allow for gapping where you would file the rings a little to meet specifications according to haynes manual which would follow manufacturer specifications

Mahle are a recommended brand name to buy they are around 70- 80 quid for a set
Vauxhall rings cost 60 quid per piston so thats 240 for a set of 4