New head gasket and valves, Now white smoke

Hi,
Newbie on here so any help would be really appreciated.

I had a compression problem where i only had about 125psi on each cylinder which did not alter with light oil put down the spark plug area.

As a result, I have just fitted new inlet and outlet valves to my z22se. Also renewed the head gasket and bolts.
Lightly lapped the valves with fine paste until a dull ring appeared and the pistons look in good condition.

Now it is all back together, i took it for a run down the road. The road behind me seemed to be replaced with white smoke.

Do i just need to let it settle or have i done something wrong?

Thanks in advance

IDI AMIN

Did you put new piston rings and valve stem seals?
you do not say. It would be very silly not to have done them if you have removed the cylinder head

new valve stem seals but not piston rings.
Rings seemed ok and did not alter the compression on a wet test. The engine also didnt smoke before this change

I hope not.

Not sure how, or what did wrong. All the timing went back ok. It starts fine and runs ok, just white smoke and a bit of water dripping from exhaust

I really hope not

Is there a chance it will clear itself?
its probably a false economy doing things like this yourself but had no choice.
Everything was torqued down correctly.
Is there anything else it could possibly be?

ok evocarlos,
I will look in the morning and no, the head wasn't skimmed.
I fell a little stupid on here, trying to do everything as cheap as poss but looks like it doesnt always work out that way

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
if not the above the only other time i seen white smoke under acceleration was a burnt out ex valve but if you have lapped them in you would have seen if a valve was gone

Silly question, but is there any specific way of checking for water in the plug hole?

The valves were all replaced. i did some research online about to lap or not to lap, however, I used fine paste and lapped each in for about 30 secs per valve, each time there was a smooth grey line around the valve. Most places suggested not lapping due to the engineering tolerance or only lapping for about 10 secs.

Is it worth stripping down again?

Bit of an update,

Took off the rocker cover and the smoke seems to be coming up the timing chain into the rocker cover area while the engine is running. I guess it is then being allowed out of the valves into the exhaust.

Ideas anyone?

Will do,
Starting to think that i could end up replacing the rings though unless i have a dodgy compression tester.

Each cylinder is only reading about 115-120 psi only increasing by about 10 psi when wet tested. Thats why i went for new valves in fist place. Is there any other way to test rings in situ?

I really appreciate everyones help :)

To be honest, when i took off the head, you can see how good the pistons looked that i thought that the person who had the car before me had done some work on them, so i left them alone.

The car came to me as a non runner due to rattly engine. The engine came from a scapped car which wasnt heard running but the guy could not be bothered once he heard the rattling and sold the car on.

Initially a good old oil change sorted the problem but it was very juicy and smelled of unburnt fuel. I checked the timing chain and the timing was one tooth out. Installed a new timing chain and set up timing thanks to a how 2 fit chains guide on here.

Still pungent and smelly on running and the front lambda sensor stayed at lean instead of fluctuating lean/rich on the opcom. So i renewed that too.

Lambda reading started to fluctuate but still pungent and plugs soon blacked up. So off came the head!!!

Filled all the exhaust ports with water and valve 8 just let it all out. So changed all the valves, stem seals and gaskets.

That is now where i am at and scratching my head

Attachments

• IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1477.JPG
    IMG_1477.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 196

vocky

Staff
to give you an idea;

mine had 215 psi across all four cylinders and a healthy z22se should easily be around the 180psi mark

Thanks,
So if i dont have a duff compression tester and the valves have been replaced, I am guessing that this is pointing to new rings.

What i cant work out though is why it didnt rise when wet tested. May need to try another compression tester i think

vocky

Staff
I once had an engine with low compression ...... they had lined up the piston ring gaps in the same spot :confused:

how would i check for that? Sorry for my ignorance but i am an intermediate mechanic falsely trying to save a buck or two.

I guess that is still pistons out???

vocky

Staff
drop the sump, remove the conrod bolts and caps, then slide the pistons out. No need to remove the block from the car.

Whilst it's apart you might as well fit new rings :rolleyes: