Need advice removing gunk from engine

RaDz

Hi All,

The swirl flaps on the engine s**t itself so I had to remove the inlet manifold to change it. While the manifold was removed, I thought I'd give it clean.

I noticed inside the engine was pretty dirty, especially the the below pics. I dont know what they're called but im sure you guys know what im talking about (the upside down looking spark plug things). I had a real good look in the holes and it looks like all the oil and grit is pretty rock solid on these things.

So my question is, what would be the best thing to use to clean these things??????

aimg19.imageshack.us_img19_8726_34813546.jpg

aimg594.imageshack.us_img594_8260_41707512.jpg

94472967.jpg

MikeS

Former Staff
valve guides and valves

should not be that oily in there unless it is breathing heavy or steam seals are leaking

i would not touch it as something comes in contact wit the valves/ pistons as a result of you trying to clean it then you will have bigger problems

just clean the surface for the inlet manifold seals and check how well the engine is breathing

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Not having really looked inside a diesel engine, are they normally any cleaner than that?

Any big build up of oil like that is best left alone unless the engine is being stripped down and rebuilt. If you were to dislodge a small amount if s**t it could do more harm than good.