Mysterious low oil pressure

vx220

Ok I’m a bit stumped now, a few weeks ago my oil pressure suddenly dropped to around half what it was running before. It’s a 2002 vx220 NA. I’ve just done a fair bit of work to remedy an oil burning problem including new stem seals, piston rings, honing and big end bearings. During the rebuild I’ve checked a few things regarding the oil pressure but found nothing substantial.

Here is a list of bits I’ve checked so far.

· Oil pump – the one I took off looked ok however I swapped it for a spare I had that also looked good
· Relief valve – this seems to be the usual suspect however on both pumps the piston seemed free moving
· New oil filter
· Cleaned a load of sludge out of the sump and flushed the oil pickup through and resealed
· Checked the calibration of the gauge

Oil pressure readings

Cold
· Idle – 60psi
· 2500 rpm – 85psi (maximum pressure)

Warm
· Idle – 30psi
· 2500 rpm – 50psi
· 4500 rpm – 70psi (maximum pressure)

As far as I am aware it should be around 60psi at idle and up around 120psi maximum is this correct?

The only other thing a can think of is I’ve hear there is some sort of relief valve in the filter housing for the oil cooler however I don’t really understand the setup and can’t find much info on it. I don’t know if that was stuck open if it wound give me low pressure.

Other than that I am a bit stumped, I have done the balance shaft delete as per vockys guide and knocked the bearings 7.5mm in and have been running it fine for around 4 months with no issues. While I had the sump off I got my borescope up into have a look at the bearings, they look like they are in about the right position but is hard to tell on a screen. I’d be very surprised if they had suddenly moved.

So any ideas appreciated or if you guys need any more info. The plan at the moment seems to be heading towards run it until it dies and stick a new one in but I’d rather not.

vocky

Staff
which gauge are you using to check the oil pressure ?

I have gone through four oil gauges, they all have died due to the high oil pressure of the z22se.

vx220

It's a stack one that's only a few month old. It does only go up to 100psi but I've removed the sensor and gauge from the car and tested it and the readings match.

I think I'll put a tee peace in and get a small gauge from work to put in the engine bay just to double check.

vocky

Staff
I have a Stack electronic version, but due to having a B207 block with under piston oil jets the oil pressure rarely goes above 90psi

vx220

Do you think I'd be causing any damage using it for now until I get to the bottom of it? Obviously taking it easy. I'm going to try a different brand oil filter I think next, it doesn't feel like it clips into the relief valve very well and the last one was a bit crumpled. I'm not sure if it's popping out of the RV a bit. Is there any brands you would suggest?

vx220

I really like the electric stack, much easier than trying to run a capillary neatly. Just a right mess on trying to make up a adapter for the transmitter

vocky

Staff
I only use genuine oil filters, £6 on ebay

70psi is still good oil pressure, just not as high as it should be on a z22se.

vocky

Staff
yes, that is a genuine z22se oil filter (y)

all z22se oil filters are the same, you can also use B207 / z22yh / z20net oil filters