My vx220 project

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocky

Staff
I have spent the last week replacing the webcon ECU with the Omex 710 :)

webcon ECU and loom removed
5465.jpg

new 470cc injectors, I am running them at 3 Bar
5469.jpg

old stuff waiting to be removed
5467.jpg

new stuff going on :D
5470.jpg

vocky

Staff
OEM Saab B207 coolant sensor - which is now calibrated on the Omex ecu
5468.jpg

Mechanical work all done, just about to start the wiring
5471.jpg

I decided to remove, repair and make good the whole rear chassis loom
5466.jpg

slowly getting there, notice the new 6 pin plug for the Omex ecu wiring, I decided to make the loom removable unlike the webcon loom which was hard wired (it was an early loom, before they made the plug and play versions)
5472.jpg

vocky

Staff
so these are the latest 'work in progress' pics

I am waiting for a new fuse/relay box to arrive, so thats why the relays and fuses are a mess :p
5476.jpg

I am also still working on the timing / cam sensor, so thats why the timing light is attached
5477.jpg

I made a new loom, which follows the rough path of the original vx220 engine loom.
The white cloth needs removing, good spot :LOL:
5478.jpg

Penny and Giles TPS sensor fitted.
I had to drill and tap a new hole for the upper mounting screw, the lower one was fine. I also had to cut a few mm off the throttle bodies spindle
5479.jpg

vocky

Staff
the new fuse / relay box arrived, so that got fitted :)

5480.jpg

top row - spare, starter relay, spare
bottom row - Aux coolant pump, Injectors/Lambda, Fuel Pump
Fuses - (from top) ECU, spare, DaviesCraig controller, Aux pump, Injectors/Lambda, Fuel Pump
5481.jpg

vocky

Staff
I have finally managed to get the LSJ cam sensor to synch with the crank 60-2 trigger wheel, then I found the correct ignition timing and it started straight away :D

So it is now running fully sequential with individual spark plug coils (coil on plug) :)

vocky

Staff
in hindsight it's very easy to work out, but it took ages to get there :confused:

ecu was supplied with 90 degree offset, trigger wheel was roughly 117 degrees, so 27 degrees difference, 24 points in the ECU trigger wheel map: thus 1 point = 15 degrees, 27 divided by 15 = 1.8

Actual offset = 2.125 - allowing for a not 100% perfect 117 degree trigger wheel thats not far out from the maths above

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
the main reason for not starting on fully seq was the cam sensor, I originally set it as per the LSJ engine. So a small tooth at Number 1 firing and large tooth as Number 4 fires.
By removing the cam sensor assembly, turning the internal trigger disc 180 degrees and refitting the cam sensor, so small tooth as Number 4 fires and large tooth as Number 1 fires, the ECU got the sych ON command. Basically the Omex got a longer signal when Number 1 is about to fire.
Then it was a case of getting the correct offset figured out, because the semi-seq timing was 0.1055 I thought why not try 0, 6, 12, 18. It fired straight up, but Omex did not want the timing set at 0, so readjusted the coil timing back to 10, 16, 22, 4 and offset the crank trigger wheel to 2 and after fine adjustment it was 14.125 (it did not like 2.125, so added 12 - which is 360 degrees / one engine revolution)

edit: by switching off the tickover 'scatter spark' it is much easier to set the exact timing on any Omex ecu

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
the infinity has many many configuration options for triggers
Capture.JPG

on the setup it locks the offset to 10* and then you crank the engine with a timing light and adjust the offset till the marks line up on the crank
then run the engine and fine tune the offset
even get a nice page for the triggers but you can upload a diagnostic software to the ecu and test trigger in raw data
Capture1.JPG

vocky

Staff
So mapping did not go too well (n)

Issues with the external trigger wheel (again), so the only real option is to strip the engine and fit an internal trigger wheel

The reason I never fitted an internal trigger wheel when I built the engine was because the 90mm pistons hit the B207 trigger wheel and due to using the webcon external trigger wheel I simply left it off.
The Omex needs a 60-2 trigger wheel so I fitted an external universal aftermarket item, for whatever reason this does not give a clean signal after 6500rpm and 220bhp is not what I call decent power :LOL:

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
I ordered a LE5 trigger wheel and the piston clearance issue should be sorted, the LE5 fits inside the B207 version :D

SAM_5503.JPG

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
one thing worth mentioning is that the two 'missing teeth' are placed in a different position when compared to the B207

SAM_5502.JPG

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
Something which I discovered today is that the LE5 block is machined differently for the crank sensor, 3mm nearer the crank on a LE5 engine

So 3mm too far away on a B207 block :mad:

Pic below is a mock up engine using a B207 block and B207 crank, but the trigger wheel is in the same location

SAM_5505.JPG

I have ordered a different crank sensor, 38mm instead of 35mm. Hopefully it will fit okay

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
the replacement GM 38mm crank sensor arrived, however the mounting tab was 180 degrees out from where I needed it to be. The only option was to chop it off and make an alloy version on my milling machine.

SAM_5506.JPG

mounted

SAM_5507.JPG

gap looks better

SAM_5508.JPG

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
The new crank sensor is Hall effect rather than VR, so an extra wire and a three pin plug is required for the crank sensor wiring loom.

Also the Omex ecu needs a link adding to the crank sensor selector, basically three pins and the link connects two together so the ecu knows what style of crank sensor is fitted. I will also have to edit the crank sensor settings to match the Hall effect sensor.

vocky

Staff
trigger wheel fitted to the LE5 crank and the bottom end nearly complete :)

I have a brand new Saab B207 timing chain kit ready to fit, once it's all back together.

SAM_5509.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.