My Astra 2.2 SRi project

silentstu

Hi everyone,

Heres my Astra G 2.2 project i got the car cheap at auction, 2002 51 plate 2.2. It has the irmscher kit on and cruise control to but no TC button but from what ive read thats not to hard to fit. Also have no history with the car but looks like its had an engine at some point.

Got the car back and it wasnt revving past 3000rpm so i removed the cat and pre cat which solved that problem, Apart from chucking up the EML, Then we discoverd a missfire put in some plugs we found in the garage (mondeo ones) and still there so bit the bullet and orderd a Coil pack which solved that to.

Now the car is massivley over fueling!!! I have since changed the plugs for some NGK iridiums as the other plugs where only coppers and were "wet" with fuel and fitted a spacer to the second o2 sensor and have orderd a CTS snesor which will be here tomorrow 26/3/10 and got a new powertec airfilter on the way you will see why in the pics lol.. I know cones arent always the best option but im trying to repair on the cheap and a cheap 2.2 airbox doesnt exist and i won the powertec cone filter for £4.21

Anyway heres some pics:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_front.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_front1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_rear.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_rear1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_side.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_interior.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_eng.jpg

the Offending item

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_filter.jpg

o2 spacer and fitted

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_DSC_0052.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_DSC_0053.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_DSC_0055.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_IMG_0293.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_IMG_0295.jpg

the spacer is now fitted the other way so its against the exhaust flow and i have unwound it a bit so its not so far in.

Hopefully i can sort the fueling issue out and get on with some modding

Sjdickso

Staff
Looks like this is going to be a good project. that filter is awful, are you spacing the sensor as you have a 200 cat to fit? I dont understand if you are using standard cat.

silentstu

yeah was the cheapest solution to the cat/pre cat causing running problems just need to hope the spacer helps keep the eml light off
it has come back on once already but i have put the spacer in a diff position now and wound it out as much as poss and also cleaned the 2nd o2 sensor
hopefully getting and fitting the cts sensor tomorrow too and ill run some injector cleaner thru it and take it on a run see if its any better on fuel

i put £30 in it at beging of month and the returned only 90 miles! which is roughly 16mpg must be able to get more than that lol

silentstu

My new powertec filter vast improvment from last one, Just need to get a decent jubilie clip for it and look at moving it a bit further away from the engine,
think the inlet pipe is not an astra one, Anyway should get me out of a pickle for now and all for £4.21 thanx ebay :mrgreen:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_photo1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v23_silentstu_Astra_photo.jpg

silentstu

Also car is still chucking up error code P 141 second o2 sensor wondering if it could be a faulty sensor? anyone else had any trouble after a de-cat?
and with the light up for that will it affect the fueling?

JohnnyN

Former Staff
The 2.2 doesn't work well with a decat. Also, you mention above that you have sourced NGK Iridium plugs? Do you have a link to a website that lists them? I've been searching a long time for an NGK listing but could only find Denso Iridium listed for the z22se.