MOT fail due to cams??

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Ok, will try and catch up with him.
Have found the instructions and cam boxes, but the instructions seem to be for pushrod engines!! Gonne be a mare methinks!
this is as much as i can take in lol
theres 5vids

milo

Ok looking at the video before I hit play, I know I'm not going to have a clue what he going to talk about! So to save myself from a head bust! I'll pass on this vid lol

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Ok looking at the video before I hit play, I know I'm not going to have a clue what he going to talk about! So to save myself from a head bust! I'll pass on this vid lol
lol you should watch it he expanse cams and why with sound effects in vid 2 :)

cavaddict

Hmmmmm, not much clearer this end lol. Another pushrod engine. Might see what Courtenays would charge! or i may just experiment on my old engine and see what i can do.

corsaZ22se

with your cams the spec data sheet should show max lift at tdc. this is the figure you need to set the cam timing.
you will also need a dial gauge to find true tdc by measuring the top of the piston through the spark plug hole.
a pointer and a ruler on the crank pulley can also be used, longer the better for the pointer.
once bottom end is set to true tdc then adjust cams so you get the max lift at tdc by measuring the position of the valve with the dial gauge while turning the cam shaft with what ever type of vernier pulley you are using lose.
some cams are made so far out that you may need to move the cam chain around the sprocket to get correct timing.
I had a lot of trouble with cams in my x20xev, piper cams were a whole tooth out on inlet and half a tooth on exhaust, newman cams were 3 teeth out on exhaust and 2.5 on inlet!
kent cams were the best at half a tooth on both. its running 286 degree cams and passes mot just with a friendly mot station. yours should breeze mot once set up correctly and you have it mapped for the cams, sound will change to once its mapped, my Vectra had a really deep boomy note after fitting shrick cams and fueling was miles out running a map that was done on Dbilas cams.
think there a guide to setting cams on kent web site or PEC site?

dewismotorsport

Piper cams are original cams that are reprofiled :)

Makes sense then, tbh I have literally took them out the bubble wrap to check for any damage and then put them straight back in the box and carried on unwrapping everything else, will give them a measure when I'm back in work

cavaddict

This is what i find weird. As far as i can tell these are not re-profiled cams and are made for this engine, so why on earth didnt they put the sprocket locaton slot in the right place!!??
Anyways that aside, have dug my old dial gauge out and will have a go at printing a degree wheel out later as i'm changing the rear brakes today.

cavaddict

Well i've googled, yahooed & read the instructions that came with my cams about a trillion times now and it still makes absolutely no sense to me!! What i find weird is Comp Cams state that at TDC you find max lift of No.1 lobe on No.1 piston.....surely this will bend the valve?

corsaZ22se

max lift will be the lift of the valve at tdc, not the maximum lift/opening of the valve. not sure on your cams but could be any where from 0.8mm. both valves inlet and exhaust will be open at tdc on exhaust stroke.
the figure you need is lift at tdc (L@TDC)

cavaddict

Comp Cams cards.jpg

There....any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

corsaZ22se

they are using the other way of setting timing which is less accurate, they measure lift at degree's before tdc and bdc.
line, valve timing @ .050. 5- btd 35 abd written in proper English would translate to .050" of valve lift 5* BTDC 35* ABDC.
so the valve will be open .050" 5 degree's before top dead centre and still be open .050" 35 degree's after bottom dead centre. (intake cam)
as you have to move the bottom end of the engine during this process this is where you loose accuracy and is not the preferred method of timing an engine although it does still work all be it taking much longer to get spot on.

cavaddict

Think i get it now ta. Doesnt help with it all being in inches either lol! Will see if we have an imperial dial gauge at work i can snaffle.
Out of interest, is there a quicker & easier way of doing this with the info given on the cards?

vocky

Staff
exhaust valve should be fully open at 112 degrees

inlet valve should be fully open at 110 degrees

I never remember which is before and which is after TDC :LOL:

haggi961

Didn't know they have cameras in the testing bays. Will have to see if my local has this setup for when I come to mot my car.