MFD / SAT NAV

delgado900

Bit Fed up with the Sat Nav suction on the windscreen so ive been thinking , has anyone fitted a sat nav into where the MFD should be and ran an MFD too ?

Just brought a new center console with a space for a sat nav so might chop the MFD part of another console and fiberglass it on ?

might look stupid , what d'ya recon ? :think:

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Go for it! I have seen this done on a Vectra on VVOC a while back. Look forward to seeing it if you proceed.

(y)

delgado900

my mate is going to love me as he sprayed my centre console like 3 months ago ....back to the drawring board me thinks (y)

he cant complain as i just fitted his kitchen for free so its not so bad ! cheers..

rushy

Durk on Vec C did it to his Vec and I started it with mine but ran into one main problem, how to turn it off and on. Durks was a Navman I believe (not to sure) and it powers on and off with the ignition but my old TomTom one v1 had to be physically turned on with the power button. If yours turns on and off with the power source then things become far easier.

aimg15.imageshack.us_img15_3281_customsatmav.jpg

delgado900

The console I brought earlier came with a gamin navi 200w and the whole lot to convert it over if the power Switch on the sat nav is a problem I will wire a new on switch and place it somewhere in the new console I'm sure . Quite excited to start this challenge . Hopefully a little weekend project if I'm free !!!

Matt

Administrator
Have seen it done a couple of times on AOC where they have used the larger centre console and fitted their own sat nav.

delgado900

I was looking in the car this morning to mount them both where the MFD is already would be taking up alot of the windscreen so the MFD's cable is going to be made longer and the MFD will be mounted where my "cubbyhole " is . However when I have a chop about with the consoles Its more than likely going to change again .

delgado900

5d60740f-cac3-9291.jpg

Paint job on this console is terrible might order a new console :( but now have everything needed for the sat nav !!!!

5d60740f-cb2b-54a9.jpg

The MFD will fit perfectly here just a case of making an extension cable and a blanking plate for the sides !!!

Love the built in sat nav mod on the vectra C drool.gif ,, iv this on my to do list on my vectra b,, wont look near as good prob dunno.. ,,
Big advantage with this is it wont attract thievies :upyours:

delgado900

I feel like a fool as I have not done much to this project however I will be one step closer with another mfd cable !

delgado900

Was staring at all the bits in the garage today , so took the opportunity to key down the console , also made a housing for the sat nav ,just need a cable for the mfd and then a test fit , then hopefully if all goes well this console can get sprayed !

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301667754.257964.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301667754.257964.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 431

delgado900

Blanking plate fixed at the bottom with MFD drilled out done it the same size as it is currently as it would look a bit pony.

Going to plant a slither onto the bottom of this to marry in the whole centre console a little better cus i hate the gap between the ashtray and the main part of the centre console .

Next tasks :

Mount the housing for the Sat Nav

Elongate MFD cable ( cut 'n join.... pretty sure there is about 30 odd cables so should be fun)

go over all my prepwork

go over my prepwork again just to be sure

Spray the bugger !

Carefully fit :D