Melv's Signum Design 2.2 Direct

MELV

House + Wife + Son = all grown up. Time for a sensible family car to replace Ellie's 3dr Mk4 Astra SXi.

Queue some differences in opinion between Ellie and I regarding suitable vehicles. Old Saabs with B204's and 4dr MGZS 180's aren't family cars apparently! :lmao:

Ellie had liked Signums for a while and I recognised their benefits, fancied an easy life and could be persuaded into getting one. A derv was considered then dismissed as Ellie will not do the miles to justify one so the hunt was on for a petrol model. The 1.8, 2.2 direct and 2.0 turbo were all considered.

I spotted a 2.2 direct down between Edinburgh and Glasgow which is 190 miles from home that had a well written advert, was well priced, and looked good. A plan was hatched:

- A plea for assistance was posted on facebook and answered by various guys from migweb.co.uk Adrian, Micky, Keith, Lucas, Dave Reid and last but by no means least, Dave Dempsey.
- Dave Dempsey very kindly agreed to and went to view the car during the week. The report came back clean as did the HPI. Dave, thanks very much again Sir.
- I called the vendor to note my interest and said that I would be down to see it for myself on Saturday
- Ivan and I headed down to view it today along with another mate who was away to pay for a Merc Sprinter less than 15 miles from where the car was for sale. 2 birds, one stone and all that.....

- The verdict.
Turns out that the car was originally owned by a bloke who lives less than 10 miles from me and had been serviced by the local dealer up here.
There are a couple of small issues. It's an 80k 54 plate so nothing out of the ordinary.
A couple of very, very faint bubbles on the rear arches.
A bent AC radiator, cracked front bumper and a loose lower grill which in my opinion looks a lot like someone has hit a rabbit / bird / cat / etc as there is no other damage.
Two tyres need replaced soon but as they are ditchfinders and I also have a set of Omega Elite alloys in the garage this isn't an issue.
Heat shield on the backbox is loose.

So the result. Knocked £100 off the asking price and bought it.

Here's a copy and paste of the ad:
Regrettably up for sale is my Vauxhall Signum. Its the 2.2 design version and it's an absolutely brilliant car and runs like a dream despite being 8 years old. Its got a massive spec including sat nav and it is completely rust free. Some more details below:

Road tax June 2013
MOT Sept 2013
80k genuine miles
Vauxhall Service history
Pearlescant black paint Sparkles in the sun shine....
2 former owners, the first being Vauxhall themselves so you know ifs been well looked after.

Half leather interior in excellent condition
Sat nav
Air con
Electric windows all-round
Massive boot
4 great alloys and tyres - They even run without wobble at 70mph.
2 key fobs and the key number card from Vauxhall

Honestly is a brilliant car but it needs to go. I'm confident enough to say its the best signum available for sale today.

Buyer won't be disappointed.

And some pics from the ad:
forsalead1.jpg

forsalead2.jpg

forsalead3.jpg

forsalead4.jpg

Thanks very much again to Dave Dempsey for his assistance.

The plans:
Service and fix some of the issues when I can.
Fit my Omega Elite wheels
Silver bulbs in the rear indicators
Buy and fit GM Mud flaps
HID kit possibly
MP3 or Aux conversion on the stereo