M32 gearbox help! ANYONE?

NICKYB

hi all, hoping someone may be able to shed some light onto a easy fix for a gearbox problem?

its onlt a 56 plate zafira 1.9 cdti and its on a M32 box which turns out to be the same as most of the VXR range except for vectra VXR (i think?)

its deff the same as astra VXR, corsa VXR, zafira VXR and the mk5 astra 888.

the weird thing is that it can handle the power of the above cars yet it seems to have broke in a zaffy diesel!

the problem:-

while inspecting it found that the passanger side CV moves around 1/2" up and down so removed that and its actually the diff gear in the box thats moving about. have a word with a VX dealer and they said that it is something that has been known before and as always, VX suggest 'needs new box'!

the main question is, as its only the diff thats the prob, can this be repaired? has anyone fitted a LSD to a VXR and has a diff laying about? has anyone come across this before and found a cure? etc., etc.?

any help would be great!
many thanks nick

timmee

best bet would be ring courtenays on monday 01692404313 and see if they have one left over that they have changed that you can use the good news you can change the diff in a couple of hrs

Matt

Administrator
Problem with those boxes is the torque that kills them with the diesel engines, not the power.

vocky

Staff
it's not quite so simple :confused:

the zaf 150cdti M32 has a 3.83 diff and the zaf 1.9 120cdti M32 has a 3.65 diff, also the diesel M32 gearboxes have a different starter motor fitment.

there are a few cheap diesel M32 boxes on ebay, try '6 speed box' as the search as well as 'cdti box'

replacement is the easiest answer.

I do have the gearbox casings of a corsa vxr M32 and the internals of an astra vxr M32 (3.94 diff), so if you need a diff housing I might have one if the corsa one fits dunno..

NICKYB

vocky said:

the zaf 150cdti M32 has a 3.83 diff and the zaf 1.9 120cdti M32 has a 3.65 diff, also the diesel M32 gearboxes have a different starter motor fitment.

there are a few cheap diesel M32 boxes on ebay, try '6 speed box' as the search as well as 'cdti box'

I do have the gearbox casings of a corsa vxr M32 and the internals of an astra vxr M32 (3.94 diff), so if you need a diff housing I might have one if the corsa one fits dunno..

thanks for the input guys, and bloody hell vocky! you know some stuff!!!!! showo..

i'll look into it a little more and maybe intouch!

many thanks again!

timmee

but as long as the shafts fit and he uses he original crown wheel he will just be able to get away with just a diff? maybe just swap diff units over like you do when you change to an lsd

vocky

Staff
I believe it's usually the diff gears (or possibly the bearings) which fail, but as Timmee said you might be able to retain the crown wheel and replace the diff, but I doubt it's worth the hassle when a secondhand diesel M32 costs between £250 and £350 dunno..

ps: I only know about the M32 as I've had a z22yh 3.65, an astra turbo 3.94 and now a corsa vxr 4.17 version in my vx220 :LOL:

timmee

as long as you can pick up a diff cheaply from some one who has changed theres to a lsd yiou can swap the diff in under 2 hrs as the box doesn't have to come our nor does the subframe have to move just pop the shafts out and drop the diff slap some new bearings on the new diff and refit your crown wheel and refit jobs a good'un torque setting for the crown wheel bolts 80nm and use locktight

NICKYB

timmee said:
as long as you can pick up a diff cheaply from some one who has changed theres to a lsd yiou can swap the diff in under 2 hrs as the box doesn't have to come our nor does the subframe have to move just pop the shafts out and drop the diff slap some new bearings on the new diff and refit your crown wheel and refit jobs a good'un torque setting for the crown wheel bolts 80nm and use locktight

can a diff with different ratio go straight into the box then without messing about with other parts?

vocky

Staff
you cannot easily change the diff ratio, but you can unbolt the crownwheel from the dead diff and fit it to another good diff

timmee

spoke to jon at courtenays today they have a 2nd hand diff there give him a ring on 01692404313 ask for jon tell him custard sent you and he can sort you out a diff and new bearings

Tazmad

sorry to join in but just curious will the m32 help with mpg on a n\a
2.2 with cam, intake, t/b, exhaust mod's oh and compatability between
petrol and desiel engines? thought they only did one M32 box
(wrong obviously b4 ya say owt lol )

vocky

Staff
Tazmad said:
sorry to join in but just curious will the m32 help with mpg on a n\a
2.2 with cam, intake, t/b, exhaust mod's oh and compatability between
petrol and desiel engines? thought they only did one M32 box
(wrong obviously b4 ya say owt lol )
the M32 gearbox comes in approx 27 versions, F23 has approx 29 versions :confused:

the z22se needs a z22yh M32 gearbox

the signum or vectra estate has a 3.83 diff, this would give better accelleration and slightly better MPG :)

the vectra hatchback has a 3.65 diff, this would have similar gearing to the F23 but give much better cruising MPG :D

you can fit any of the other M32 gearbox internals into the z22yh box - if you wish (y)

S17GJM

NICKYB said:
vocky said:

thanks for the input guys, and bloody hell vocky! you know some stuff!!!!! showo..

i'll look into it a little more and maybe intouch!

many thanks again!

hi would it be possible to fit a m32 gearbox from a 2007 1.9 cdti 120bhp Zafira to my 2006 1.9 cdti 150 bhp astra is it a straight swap??