LPG conversions?

si.c1978

Hi, I know a few chaps on here are down with their lpg so thought I'd ask here first.
I'm thinking of lpg converting the Fto as I feel with recent fuel prices its restricting our freedom a wee bit.
So as I'm not willing to trade petrol engines in just yet what are my options?
pros. And cons of self fitting e
Best places that fit it? I'm dubious of just picking a local company.
Is it ridiculous to do this to a Fto?
Is it true its 102 ron?

Cheers!

Matt

Administrator
Turbo engines run really well on LPG. They seem to pull about 10bhp more than standard just from the conversion.

wu11ie

My old V6 Vectra was LPG and man do I miss it!!, slightly less mpg than petrol but very marginal, but your paying half the price so who cares!! Lol

Sent Using The Force.......

si.c1978

That's my thinking on it, when your fuel bill breaches 50 quid a week something has to change. Just not my cars lol.
I want to find a reputable place to do it tho.

wu11ie

That's my thinking on it, when your fuel bill breaches 50 quid a week something has to change. Just not my cars lol.
I want to find a reputable place to do it tho.

There's loads of places do it mate, a quick Google search will throw up loads,

Daz

Former Staff
You need to weigh up the long term cost of the conversion imo.... sure my boss paid around 2k for the one on his old range rover. but lost out in the end as he didnt keep it long enough for it to pay for itself.

jwalker

Definitely worth doing if you do that many miles, my Vectra B came with a conversion and would have paid for itself had I done it myself. Filling it up costs about £28 and I get around 240 miles

si.c1978

It'll definately start looking.
the thing is round here if you could you would easily use a 100 quid so you just don't travel as much instead.

si.c1978

I had a shout around today and there's a few out there, however I'm wary of the one day fitters and am fairly sure its not 100 % with them either.
oddly the largest of the local chaps (gas power uk) is sounding my favourite.
He understands its not going to be straight forward and once he realised I was a anorak explained wasson.
he explained that with performance. Engines he only tunes to 6.5krpm as gas becomes uneconomical after that point, that's a bit poo I thought then he went on to explain his systems auto switch back to petrol to see me up to 9k.
Sweet!
he's done a Bentley. Where he was made to get it running fully running on gas . He reckoned it was consuming enough fuel top end to satisfy a 17.5l engine lol.
Switched on chap but he comes with a price at just over 2k.
Im seeing what I can rustle together as I'm keen still for some reason lol.
Sofa's got me started at 65p! The motorbike funds gonna get caned again. :(

wu11ie

I've never heard if a system that switches back to petrol at 6.5krpm, I kicked the s**t out of my old V6 some days and it was always on gas, right through the rev range, nice and smooth,

Also most modern systems can start straight on gas, my old one used to run on petrol for the first 5 minutes of every day, after that the car automatically started on gas, but if left overnight it would auto start on petrol again, apparently it was a safety feature to check for any leaks and a pressure test,

There was a company in Glasgow quoted me £1400 and needed the car 2 days to do the conversion, that was fully fitted etc with the certificate, make sure you get the certificate! Lol

si.c1978

I think it has something to do with fuel delivery. And the sizes the jets have to be to cope with the top end fueling

si.c1978

Well I've bit the bullet pooled my savings and with a little help from my boss (whos bi-fuel curious) I'm booked in for the 28th.
Back to 90's fuel prices for me :)

si.c1978

I can't wait to actually fill a fuel tank in it, as it has a Tourer fuel tank it takes about 80-85 quid in unleaded.

wu11ie

I can't wait to actually fill a fuel tank in it, as it has a Tourer fuel tank it takes about 80-85 quid in unleaded.

I used to enjoy it, standing there for ages filling it and you look at the price.................. £35!! Lol

si.c1978

My mate could bore the hooves off a donkey banging on about the economy of his diesel,
told him what I was doing and how it all works out. Now he keeps texting me lpg jaguars on eBay lol :) cheap as chips and still equivalent to 45mpg lol

si.c1978

Well the car was dropped off this morning my cash wrestled from my hands, all to do now is enjoy a couple of days off and she should be ready tomorrow night or Thursday morning. :)
Me mates put the s**ts up me by pointing out someone we know has had their cambelt go and as I have a bad history on that score I'm waiting on a 2nd quote.
750 from stealership!

Matt

Administrator
Well the car was dropped off this morning my cash wrestled from my hands, all to do now is enjoy a couple of days off and she should be ready tomorrow night or Thursday morning. :)
Me mates put the s**ts up me by pointing out someone we know has had their cambelt go and as I have a bad history on that score I'm waiting on a 2nd quote.
750 from stealership!

Doesn't take long to do the conversion then if you should have it back by tomorrow night?

si.c1978

I think he's being a bit optimistic myself, tho he did say maybe Thursday.
he's got two blokes on it for 2 days mind.
Its a BRC sequential system all looks pretty fancy.
He has given me the option to have the filler in the bumper and fuel switch/gauge in the front ashtray as I quit smoking. Should be good.