Looking to put new tyres on my car, any suggestions?

David1

My tyres' tread is getting a bit low, and I'm looking to replace all four with a brand that's on the lower end, in terms of price, but will hold up for quite a while.

I'm sure if I go with a well-known brand I'll pay for that, so I'm just looking for some obscure brands that are actually pretty good. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for tyres I can use year-round.

I was looking at prices over on Tyre Shopper, and they say they will beat anyone else's prices. So, maybe I can get a really good deal out of this?

Send some suggestions my way if you can, I'm going to keep looking.

Last edited:

Sjdickso

Staff
As above, Avons are good run them for a while esp ZZ3, just got some Falkens 914's on the Seat or I really liked Hankooks V12, got mixed reviews of Nankangs NS2.

Then you are into Toyos R - Good Year F1's - Conti sport Contacts - Rain Sports etc.

jwalker

I would avoid Vredestein, of the four I bought two have had to be binned due to massive bulging not long after I bought them, and no I didn't hit any potholes either :(

Matt

Administrator
I would avoid Vredestein, of the four I bought two have had to be binned due to massive bulging not long after I bought them, and no I didn't hit any potholes either :(
I ran Vredestein on the Vectra and the VXR, and had them on for over 3 years on the VXR, with no issues at all. What specific model were they?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
haters gonna hate :)
nankang ns2 12k covered there better than the people slating them think
personally i live in the sticks and i don't like to waste money on things that get screws in them and tire walls that get spilt from all the potholes if theres a problem i just spend £45 and its sorted not £180 per tire

had antire on the rear for 7 years the tire perished before there was any wear

Sjdickso

Staff
Carl I agree, although I do like my sport contacts ;) But I didn't pay retail thanks to @corsaZ22se . I have got new NS2's on the rear of the Seat.

Although the only tyres I would put on the CS would be Toyos it really didn't like anything else and they where on 16"'s so £50 a corner (y)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
value for money :)
i had wished to fit some better tires on the front now its pushing 280+hp but under the same ruling why spent £180 on a tire to have them burnt away in 10k or have some dick spider slash them
on the ns2 the road noise is acceptable the grip is very good @5M1THY random test pilot saw this and ive tested them up to 145 but ran out of rpm lol

5M1THY

Yeah the current tyres are quite impressive I had nexen which are really grippy tyres even in the wet but the side walls are so weak I had golf ball size bulges in two within 6 months...
Mitchin are a lot of money and aren't all that on vauxhalls but are great on renaults I've just brought two budget tyres £88 for two there called triangle and in the dry the back end feels good plus they have really good protection for the edge of the rim were as nothing else I've had on these 18s have even come close other than that I'm not to sure what's best.. I've got top mitchilins on my megane and there the best tyres I've ever had but there a lot of money and there 15s

m4rtin

As above its all about what your willing to spend really. i have toyo t1r's on mine and had them around 15k and the treat has lasted really well considering some people say theirs have lasted around 5 due to the rubber being a softer compound. I would highly recommend them.

IDI AMIN

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

This is the website i used to help me decide what ones to go for. Quite good, people give their opinion on wet/dry grip wear etc and if they would buy again
Like everyone else is saying it is all about how much you are willing to spend per tyre

cav24v

Avons are normally cheapest of brand tyres & standard fitment for rollsroyce.
Imo michellin are over priced & read in some reviews that toyos not very good in the wet.
Generally you get what you pay for.
I have pirellis on both of mine,p zero nero on my cav v6(over 200bhp in that) & p6000s on my sri 150.
Very happy with both but I am thinking of trying something else next,maybe uniroyals,had them on my old cav sri & was happy with them as well.
I wont put budgets on mine as I feel its not worth skimping on tyres & ending up trashing a car ive spent a couple of grand on.
You could also try finding some budgets that are made by main brands like goodyear used to make kellys and I would allways recomend them over say camacs when I was a tyre fitter,much better tyre for only a couple of quid more,shame they dont make kellys any more.