Stu66

Hi All,

With an automatic gearbox (Z22SE), what's the best way to ensure no movement of the crankshaft/flywheel (avoiding damage to the Woodruff key) while tightening the crankshaft-pulley bolt?

Preventing crankshaft-pulley rotation is easy enough using various good methods mentioned on here.
For the crankshaft itself, Haynes suggests locking the flywheel to gearbox housing using the starter-motor bolts and a DIY plate. Is this the only guaranteed method?

Would be grateful for any helpful hints or alternatives to buying/making a flywheel locking tool.

Cheers
Stuart

corsaZ22se

you can buy or make a tool to lock the crank shaft pulley as well.
think evocarlos has made such a tool.

Stu66

thanks corsaZ22se, I think I'll see if I can make one for the pulley.
Is it safe to assume that, if I'm using a pulley-tool, the crankshaft itself shouldn't rotate when the pulley-bolt is tightened (like just at the end when it's really hard)? Or should one ALWAYS lock both the Pulley and Flywheel?

corsaZ22se

should be fine to just lock the pulley with a tool, un doing the bolt is the hardest part. if you have an impact gun i would use that to undo the bolt.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
impact gun for undo and tighten up :) just make sure the pulley is located in the oil pump and the key way before tightening or you will have a bent key

you can buy one or make one for holding the pulley still for manual tightening
WP_000613 (Medium).jpg

WP_000610.jpg

Stu66

thanks for pics; tells a 1000 words. Will try make one - I bent the key while twisting the pulley off (before I borrowed a gear-puller), so want to be sure I don't bend the new one:nailbiting: