Locking the Crankshaft / Flywheel for Bolt tightening

Hi All,

With an automatic gearbox (Z22SE), what's the best way to ensure no movement of the crankshaft/flywheel (avoiding damage to the Woodruff key) while tightening the crankshaft-pulley bolt?

Preventing crankshaft-pulley rotation is easy enough using various good methods mentioned on here.
For the crankshaft itself, Haynes suggests locking the flywheel to gearbox housing using the starter-motor bolts and a DIY plate. Is this the only guaranteed method?

Would be grateful for any helpful hints or alternatives to buying/making a flywheel locking tool.

Cheers
Stuart

thanks corsaZ22se, I think I'll see if I can make one for the pulley.
Is it safe to assume that, if I'm using a pulley-tool, the crankshaft itself shouldn't rotate when the pulley-bolt is tightened (like just at the end when it's really hard)? Or should one ALWAYS lock both the Pulley and Flywheel?

corsaZ22se

should be fine to just lock the pulley with a tool, un doing the bolt is the hardest part. if you have an impact gun i would use that to undo the bolt.

thanks for pics; tells a 1000 words. Will try make one - I bent the key while twisting the pulley off (before I borrowed a gear-puller), so want to be sure I don't bend the new one:nailbiting: