Lightened pulleys

vocky

Staff
went for a spin today, yes the third drive this year :oops:

I can feel the difference the underdrive lightened pulley has made, before I could change gear without hitting the limiter, now it hits the limiter if I'm not quick enough with the gearchange :roll:

I need to get a higher rev limit :?

-MD- HHR

Anytime to remove rotational mass from the engine it is going to rev faster and easier.

Neil, get me an alternator pulley. :razz:

Side note... I was the person from the U.S. that sold him the alternator pulley.

Karo

Trader
MD has some nice pulleys out ;) You guys should give them a try. I think you will be very happy with the results!

corsaZ22se

So does speed build up quicker with the lighter pulley? Also is a lighter alternator available for the z22se?
Yes to both, but the price of the alternator is quiet a bit more if you go for one that is a direct fit your looking at £500, It's lighter and more efficient (takes a lot less power to turn it)
to see the gains you would idly have all the bottom end lightened and balanced. Crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, clutch, full balancer shaft delete and possibly an electric water pump.

Rick201i

My astra is a daily driver. I carnt afford to have the car off the road at the minute for long periods of time. Things like balancer shaft delete kit I could do .Things like pistons and rods might be a bit more time consuming

corsaZ22se

As a daily driver any more than a lightened flywheel is a bit unnecessary. If you do want to go further you would be best off building a replacement engine then swapping them to keep the car on the road.

Rick201i

As a daily driver any more than a lightened flywheel is a bit unnecessary. If you do want to go further you would be best off

The car Kind of turned into a project daily driver. The astra mk4 is pretty light as it is.Im gonna see how light I can make it over time while keeping it a daily driver

vocky

Staff
I had to replace a crank on someone elses engine, my own engine required new bearings and I had the crank journals polished too

The reason mine suffered less damage was because I caught it in time - I was fitting another crank trigger wheel and noticed the crank pulley was cracked

Vibration seemed to be the problem, both were fully balanced engines