Knock from Front End

Sjdickso

Staff
Mine used make a odd sound, swapped them for none OE parts twice then gave up and bought Powerflex from you. Just done the same with the Ibiza but used genuine VW parts I wasn't they where the cause of a noise.

Matt

Administrator
Spoke to VX just now, and the first thing they said "have you recently fitted none GM pads?"

So, £50 on trade club
2013-10-01 12.24.54.jpg

You can see these have an anti-slip backing on all 4 of the pads, where the mintex ones didn't. They also overlap the padding around where the pads sits in the calliper. Going to fit them at the weekend.

Matt

Administrator
FIXED!

New pads fitted, and the knocking has stopped. As I was stripping down the callipers to remove the Mintex pads, you could actually feel movement in the outside pads. Once they were off, it was VERY obvious they were moving about inside the calliper.

2013-10-01 14.03.45.jpg
Calliper off, gave it a good scrape as well to remove a build up of brake dust

2013-10-01 14.03.54.jpg
Old pads off. You can see where the black has been removed around the outline of the calliper

2013-10-01 14.04.58.jpg
Side by side with Old and New

2013-10-01 15.02.30.jpg
Old pads after a wipe down. You can really see where they have been moving around! They have only been in 5 months

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
send an email to mintex for a reimbursement risk to life and poor build quality im sure they will be more than helpful not normally any issue with mintex
have to say now my gm pads have done 500 miles the car stops much sooner than i anticipate at junctions
you want to come sort my clicking out ? lol

Matt

Administrator
send an email to mintex for a reimbursement risk to life and poor build quality im sure they will be more than helpful not normally any issue with mintex
have to say now my gm pads have done 500 miles the car stops much sooner than i anticipate at junctions
you want to come sort my clicking out ? lol
I'm going to initially contact Mtec who supplied them, to see what they have to say. Can't deny it, as the pictures clearly show an outline of the calliper where they have been sliding about!

Daz

Former Staff
Cured alys knock today.... n/s/f top mount..... even tho there looked to be nothing wrong with the old one when i removed it.....

Daz

Former Staff
Next time you open ure bonnet matt, see if you can turn the retaining clip on the top of the mount......

Matt

Administrator
So, I'm getting a partial refund on the price of the kit I bought.

This was the initial offer:
We could send out a brakeworld pad free of charge or we can send out ferodo for the reduced price of £55.99 or the ebc redstuff for £94.57.
I've never heard of Brakeworld, and was slightly worried when I got this reply
Mintex and brakeworld would be the same quality. As you bought the pad as part of the kit, then the price of the pad is £13.44
£13.44 for a set of pads!!!

I'm glad I've got Ferodo back on again from Vauxhall knowing that!

Daz

Former Staff
Brakeworld pads are utter s**te...... the factors next to my works stock them and we dont touch them,,,