Just did chain running rattly down on a cylinder

I did the chain went great for a couple of weeks, then started getting sluggish, went down to 3 cylinders, now Sounds like a bag of spanners, ??? Any information would be great guys

KevinH

Timing chain tensioner not activated? chain jumped?

Probably worth removing the cam cover to check chain for slack and all guides are still intact. Also check that all the roller rockers are still in place.

:)

I got a garage to do the job , can I unscrew the tensioner and check if it's sprung, if it's jumped do I hav to strip it all down again??

KevinH

The problem with many garages is that they are not truly familiar with these engines and usually pretend to know what they are doing as it wouldn't look good otherwise.

It may be worth asking the garage how they activated the timing chain tensioner but don't prompt the garage with the following info - most of the guys on the forum install it activated which does make it more difficult to screw into the head (however this way you ensure it's activated) but it can be activated after installation by pressing against it with a bar from above via the opening in the head.

I would not attempt to just remove the timing chain tensioner without removing the cam cover for inspection and it may require the timing/oil pump cover to be removed as well to establish what may be the problem. If the chain has jumped it will require reinstalling again from scratch.

Were genuine GM chain kits fitted?

The problem with many garages is that they are not truly familiar with these engines and usually pretend to know what they are doing as it wouldn't look good otherwise.

It may be worth asking the garage how they activated the timing chain tensioner but don't prompt the garage with the following info - most of the guys on the forum install it activated which does make it more difficult to screw into the head (however this way you ensure it's activated) but it can be activated after installation by pressing against it with a bar from above via the opening in the head.

I would not attempt to just remove the timing chain tensioner without removing the cam cover for inspection and it may require the timing/oil pump cover to be removed as well to establish what may be the problem. If the chain has jumped it will require reinstalling again from scratch.

Were genuine GM chain kits fitted?

I took the cover off the chain was a good bit out ,the bolt on the long guide was broken so the tensioner wasn't pushing against anything, reset timing replaced bolt and still rattling, might it be sticky valves got a vid of noise but can't get it to post

corsaZ22se

there is a chance you have bent a valve :(
easy way to check is to compression test or remove the cam shafts and check height of the valves to see if any are lower than the others.