Jason's 02 Astra Sri Project

Matt

Administrator
Hey guys, just an update. The Astra is still running well although i keep getting an engine warning light saying something about the cat? i have the precat removed and i have tried to cancel the code a few times but it keeps coming back next time i start the car. any one have an idea how to remove it completely? other then that just been doing some aesthetic bits and pieces... many people have been replacing the Holden badges with the Opel "lightning bolt" one, so i have followed the crowd haha, Money is pretty tight so the big engine plan has to wait for awhile longer :poop: so i am looking at getting some nice 17" rims for now; but i am unsure of the offset type etc so any help with that would be great =D

Cheers, Jason
The EML for the cat could be either of the O2 sensors playing up. Did you manage to read the actual fault code that is being logged?

I cant remember what code came up but im pretty sure it said something to do with O2 sensor or something, i just assumed it was the precat deletion. i will take another look at it tomorrow before work

Matt

Administrator
I cant remember what code came up but im pretty sure it said something to do with O2 sensor or something, i just assumed it was the precat deletion. i will take another look at it tomorrow before work
If it was related to the O2 sensor, I'd be pretty confident it's the O2 sensor after the main cat that is faulty, and could probably do with replacing.

Hello there guys! i know it has been awhile since i have updated but i have finally found a second engine to start a complete rebuild. (again)
the plan at the end of the day is to have it full forged internals etc, still contemplating on going forced induction but at the moment
i am just going to get this engine cleaned up and ready for parts ordering!

Here are some pictures for you all!
IMAG1510.jpg IMAG1513.jpg IMAG1520.jpg IMAG1519.jpg

I am still studying until December so progress is going to be slow until the holidays start! but i will up date you guys on the progress when it happens!

Cheers, Jason

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Hello there guys! i know it has been awhile since i have updated but i have finally found a second engine to start a complete rebuild. (again)
the plan at the end of the day is to have it full forged internals etc, still contemplating on going forced induction but at the moment
i am just going to get this engine cleaned up and ready for parts ordering!

Here are some pictures for you all!
View attachment 39121 View attachment 39122 View attachment 39123 View attachment 39124

I am still studying until December so progress is going to be slow until the holidays start! but i will up date you guys on the progress when it happens!

Cheers, Jason
cant wait to see some progress on this mate :)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i think its all down to the age of the engine and the current wear on the liners you can get new liners and a tool for fitting them from the usa :)
the tool
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L850-2-2L-Z...YLINDER-LINER-REMOVER-INSTALLER-/111040056448

thats the piston and rod combo i will be getting when money is available :) but i will be going stock bore with a quick hone job

there is also an option to reinforce the current liners with wedges making it like the gen3 block not required under 400hp :)
1379583_10202081172780374_2106749488_n.jpg

Thanks for that! i will have a talk to the guy who will be doing my block and see what he will say, the engine was claimed to have done around 65,000kms and looks in very good condition. so a quick hone and i might just go the standard sized pistons, but we will see ;)

Cheers, Jason

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Thanks for that! i will have a talk to the guy who will be doing my block and see what he will say, the engine was claimed to have done around 65,000kms and looks in very good condition. so a quick hone and i might just go the standard sized pistons, but we will see ;)

Cheers, Jason
40k mile is not really that much as long as theres no score marks then a degaze would probably be all thats needed but get the checked for size just for the sake of it :)

found a vid of the sleeve removal with the above tool but cant find the liners yet :s

also text taken from the ebay page

found this interesting to
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Art...rocedures_for_20022006_gm_ecotec_engines.aspx

Thats alot easier than i thought it would be! im going to go and talk to the machinist next week once i have given the block a good cleanup and see what he can do, i have never changed sleeves before or bored an engine before so i am not really too sure how much effort/money would be involved. I have been reading up on the net and it seems more hassle then it would be worth in the end, and if i decide to go forced induction i dont think going for a larger bore would be worth it in the end. so i am more leaning towards the standard sized pistons at the moment.

Thanks heaps for the Video evocarlos! youtube sure is great!

Cheers, Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
well i still can't find the sleeves for sale online plenty of tools lol

Thanks for that mate! very much appreciated, i am sure i will work something out with my machinist next week.

If anyone has any information on a Turbo z22se that would be great! it seem like not too many people have done them (probably because of the space issue and supercharging kit is alot easier) but i was looking into aftermarket ECUs or have people kept with the stock on and just had that chiped/tuned? i went onto this website (http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/Search.aspx?searchTerms=lsJ&submit=true) and they do turbo kits and sell manifolds for them but i am unsure if it would fit between the engine and firewall on the astra. might have to make one up myself :woot:

Matt

Administrator
Thanks for that mate! very much appreciated, i am sure i will work something out with my machinist next week.

If anyone has any information on a Turbo z22se that would be great! it seem like not too many people have done them (probably because of the space issue and supercharging kit is alot easier) but i was looking into aftermarket ECUs or have people kept with the stock on and just had that chiped/tuned? i went onto this website (http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/Search.aspx?searchTerms=lsJ&submit=true) and they do turbo kits and sell manifolds for them but i am unsure if it would fit between the engine and firewall on the astra. might have to make one up myself :woot:
full

full

full

Last edited: