Jason's 02 Astra Sri Project

Found this interesting, anyone here done something similar?

googled OBDtuner and found the software for it too... might give it a shot with the engine still in the astra, just try upping the RPM limit etc.. nothing too crazy of course

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
have read the standard springs are good for 7200 but not over
Valve springs:
http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/501-Supertech-78lb-Valve-Spring-Kit.aspx
or
http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/573-82-Ecotec-Valve-Springs.aspx

timing tool is not required :) when fitting a new chain
make sure that the chain kit you buy comes with the z20net tensioner
i do like the look of that head set

I have read somewhere that the springs were good for 7200 rpm, but i thought it would be nice to get some with more seat and open pressure just incase (y)
I am still unsure if i should fork out money for some new valves or just use the stock ones, i want this engine to be pretty bullet proof to a minimum of 7000 RPM
when its done, I am very sure the stock valves (60,000 odd Kms on the clock) can handle it, but would it be worth the extra coin just for piece of mind? or should
i just but new standard ones? instead of the supertech ones?

and about the chain tensioner, whats the difference between the z20net and the z22se? i am assuming the z20net is alot better?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
I have read somewhere that the springs were good for 7200 rpm, but i thought it would be nice to get some with more seat and open pressure just incase (y)
I am still unsure if i should fork out money for some new valves or just use the stock ones, i want this engine to be pretty bullet proof to a minimum of 7000 RPM
when its done, I am very sure the stock valves (60,000 odd Kms on the clock) can handle it, but would it be worth the extra coin just for piece of mind? or should
i just but new standard ones? instead of the supertech ones?

and about the chain tensioner, whats the difference between the z20net and the z22se? i am assuming the z20net is alot better?
i think it was on zzp they say 7200 if i do any work on the valve springs i would only get the single spring kit for a straight swap and some better cams

found this pic last night you can see the 3 types of tensioner
left - rev 2
middle - rev 1
right - rev 3 (z20net) the end can't drop out of this one thats about it lol
ignore where it says fit deactivated
tentioners.JPG

Okay guys, so a lot has happened over the Christmas holidays and since i have been on.
I will have to write up the whole dramatic story about it all sometime very soon. but for now i will leave you with this.

Hey guys, so been pretty busy the past few months. had to throw away the old engine that was in the Astra and put the second one i got for the rebuild in just so i can keep driving around for studies.
I will have to do a write up about what happened when i can find time.

But i have a slight annoying problem at the moment.
The engine seems to have a lumpy idle now with this second engine, and i cant pinpoint what is wrong.

Things i have replaced:
Temp sensor
front O2 sensor
Spark Plugs
Coil Pack

before i put the engine in i replaced all the timing chain, pullys, head gasket, cleaned and seated valves etc, it has a EGR blank kit with the EGR valve moved to one side, i have been to the exhaust place and both cats have been emptied out so there shouldnt be any blocked exhaust. Im really stuck on what to do, it only does it on idle, ive taken it through the hills alot and through out the rest of the rev range it seems fine, no hesitancy when accelerating and nothing that could indicate that anything is wrong until it goes back to idle. I have noticed that when i take the O2 sensor plug off and leave it running without an O2 sensor it seems to idle more smoothly, though the O2 sensor has been replaced and it does the same with the old O2 sensor as well, so i cant understand why.

So would anyone know what it could be?