Is this how Positive Crankcase Ventilation works on the Z22SE?

richard165

hi all after piston soak (which is detailed on carb cleaning piston rings thread) I've noticed a drastic reduction in oil consumption leading me to believe it is now the ingestion through inlet manifold causing oil usage.

I have a ford focus which has a similar setup however the breather goes to the air box before the filter, would this mod be an option worth considering?

richard165

hi all after piston soak (which is detailed on carb cleaning piston rings thread) I've noticed a drastic reduction in oil consumption leading me to believe it is now the ingestion through inlet manifold causing oil usage.

I have a ford focus which has a similar setup however the breather goes to the air box before the filter, would this mod be an option worth considering?

Berto

... I have a ford focus which has a similar setup however the breather goes to the air box before the filter, would this mod be an option worth considering?

That would essentially turn the airbox into an oil catch can for WOT conditions, and the air filter into an oil separator (oily and messy). The chambers would ingest less oil at WOT though.

Notice that mod would do nothing for part-throttle conditions (vast majority of running time for street engines).