Innoparts Plasma Dials Wiring?

AlexYW

So got one of these in the mail today, and after finally getting the plasma dials in the binnacle Im left with the next problem, where do the red and black power wires go? All the instructions are in German!

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
+12v to grey and yellow
0v to brown

grey and yellow is the illumination wire for when the light are on and brown is earth :) the speedo cluster has these wires to tap into

black on the cluster plug is 12v + when the ignition is on

or solder them in to the clocks

Last edited:

AlexYW

So red wire from the plasma dials to the grey&yellow wire, and black wire to the brown earth?
This brings another problem, I don't know why but the light for the cigarette lighter in my car doesn't work, never has since i've owned the car, even with a new bulb still won't light up, but the cigarette lighter is working fine? and ideas why this is?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
So red wire from the plasma dials to the grey&yellow wire, and black wire to the brown earth?
This brings another problem, I don't know why but the light for the cigarette lighter in my car doesn't work, never has since i've owned the car, even with a new bulb still won't light up, but the cigarette lighter is working fine? and ideas why this is?
yes but you could always solder them in to the clocks for a more permanent solution

the cigar lighter bulb shares its earth with the lighters metal case make sure the bulb is clipped to the metal case and the grey and yellow wire with the plug is plugged to the bulb

AlexYW

How would I go about soldering into the clocks then? And when exactly should the light on the cigarette lighter light up?

AlexYW

So the cig lighter should always be on when you turn the lights on, not just when you press it in?

Is it ok to drive the car without the binnacle in place? I really want some nachos and pepsi but asda is 2 miles aways!:(

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
ran my car without the clocks before without issue
even if it did pull up a fault code its only a case of refitting the clocks and disconnecting the battery for 10mins

on with the lights on :)
WP_000603.jpg

AlexYW

Cool, yeah I got the cig light working, but I can't get the plasma dials to light up? Im using red wire to grey yellow, and black to the brown earth wires that are on the big metal bar, is there anything wrong with this?

Did your car come with a TC button or did you have to install that?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Cool, yeah I got the cig light working, but I can't get the plasma dials to light up? Im using red wire to grey yellow, and black to the brown earth wires that are on the big metal bar, is there anything wrong with this?

Did your car come with a TC button or did you have to install that?
do you have a multy meter ? so you can check theres voltage at the grey yellow

i fitted it 8 years ago and used it 2-3 times :)

AlexYW

Its cool I've got it all put in and working now, cheers!:) it was just a case of getting the wires from the dials put in correctly. But this is not the end of my problems, while I had the dials binnacle out I thought I would scrape off that yellow stuff on the diffuser off the milage screen like you did, and now I can barely make out what its says, so Im guess you put something else on or between the diffuser, or something?

So do you ride with the TC on or off all the time?

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Its cool I've got it all put in and working now, cheers!:) it was just a case of getting the wires from the dials put in correctly. But this is not the end of my problems, while I had the dials binnacle out I thought I would scrape off that yellow stuff on the diffuser off the milage screen like you did, and now I can barely make out what its says, so Im guess you put something else on or between the diffuser, or something?

So do you ride with the TC on or off all the time?
the diffuser just has a white led bulb behind it and it works fine
the T/C defaults to on every ignition on and i never turn it off :)

AlexYW

I can't even make out what the milage thing says anymore, it is still working, if I stare at it for a while very hard I can make out some numbers, but its very very faint.
Did you put in a different bulb?

AlexYW

I didn't bother taking the led out and looking at it, so is there a orange bulb behind it then as standard then? Would putting a blue bulb behind it make it go blue? Man looks like im gonna be taking it all out again one day then.:(
Im also going through the process of changing the centre console, can you do the same with the diffuser on the MFD?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
I didn't bother taking the led out and looking at it, so is there a orange bulb behind it then as standard then? Would putting a blue bulb behind it make it go blue? Man looks like im gonna be taking it all out again one day then.:(
Im also going through the process of changing the centre console, can you do the same with the diffuser on the MFD?
you can fit a new bulb in there from the rear of the clocks just get a white led one thats to fit
the mfd is yellow plastic and a lot harder to do

linky :)
https://z22se.co.uk/threads/mfd-led-mod-white.22010/

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexYW

I just took a bulb out of the MFD to have a look at it and blew the bulb, so now I don't have a MFD.
Why does everything in this car seem to break when I take it apart:cry:?

AlexYW

After all the hassle of getting the bloody thing in the car, it makes the most annoying noise like a ringing in my ears noise! even hear it over the radio!
Would not recommend fitting one of these to anyone!