HPi Drama

20vt

So about 16months ago, i traded my Mk5 Golf Tdi for an Skoda Fabia Vrs and some money my way.

16Months later I was hit by an bus

Bus company admitted fault, no problems.

When I tried to claim the pay out from the insurance company, I was contacted by black horse finance stating that the car was still under finance and they legally owned it, and any pay out will be paid to them.

So basically I've lost out.

If i done a Hpi check I wouldnt be in this mess.

A part ex is not considered as a "normal" sale under hpi law.

Has anyone else been in a similar sutuation?

Any advice would be greatful.

20vt

I would try and get to citizen advice asap. U got to have sone kind of rights.
Tried C.A.B. but they told me the same as what the finance company told me.

Legally its their car, and are entitled to any money that insurance pays out.

Hpi check is a must when buying cars.

jwalker

Didn't you get the logbook or anything? Never had a car on finance but I would be wary as maybe the finance company could take the car back if they weren't getting repaid, if that's an issue

20vt

Didn't you get the logbook or anything? Never had a car on finance but I would be wary as maybe the finance company could take the car back if they weren't getting repaid, if that's an issue
Yes i've got the logbook, and the person I got the car off was the registered keeper. I done a Txt check but that doesnt show if any outstanding finance is still owed.

According to the finance company, a part ex is classed as a "barter/trade" and not considered a normal sale.

Dave Gilbert

Did you owe finance on it? Or the person you got it off?

A mate of mine was shunted n totally writen off his car, he owed about 3000 quid on it n he got paid out for the car from the insurance and then never paid the finance off. There still chasing him I think.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i had a bill for £26,100 to pay the black horse when i smashed my car up
the insurance was at 1st unwilling to pay to me any more than £24k i told them to replace the car then
long story short they could not find one under £27k so i said im only after £26,100 they paid me i paid the rest of the finance off
and was left with nout antho the car was financially paid off

from what i understand of it the car is the finances companies property until paid in full even if the car is sold on to a 3rd party
this is the big need to get a hpi check with a used car..
the other issue there is now is logbook loans as there not show on hpi checks and people are getting stung left right and center

milo

i had a bill for £26,100 to pay the black horse when i smashed my car up
the insurance was at 1st unwilling to pay to me any more than £24k i told them to replace the car then
long story short they could not find one under £27k so i said im only after £26,100 they paid me i paid the rest of the finance off
and was left with nout antho the car was financially paid off

from what i understand of it the car is the finances companies property until paid in full even if the car is sold on to a 3rd party
this is the big need to get a hpi check with a used car..
the other issue there is now is logbook loans as there not show on hpi checks and people are getting stung left right and center
Log book loans?? Never herd of those