How 2 fit cam chains

Timbo

Millions of thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. Just doing my chains now. :)
Found the black front guide broken, the ends from the bolt holes are missing :(
Some of the bolts are rather chewed.

Regards Tim.

KevinH

Probably around the 6-7 hrs mark, but best to take your time and ensure everything is correct.
A couple of potential issues are removing the crankshaft pulley bolt as they're very tight and one of the bolts holding the oil pump/timing cover is awkward to remove as it's long and there's minimal clearance to the inner wing. :)

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
probably three hours is the quickest time to do both, but expect to spend a good eight hours the first time you do them.

KevinH

A couple of points about the video:
He mentions to turn the engine to No.1 at TDC but most of the guys here actually rotate it so that No. 4 cyl is at TDC with the camshaft lobes at 2 o'clock (exhaust) and 10 o'clock (inlet).
One other point, he says to install the timing chain tensioner deactivated, but again the recommendation is to install it activated (which does require more effort but should be much easier with the engine out) that way you can be sure it's going to function correctly.

:)

i still offer a fitting service in the uk :)
HOw much mate? I'm geared up to do it. Just done full service (like to thank the guy that designed the location, nut size and the fact the oil filter top is plastic grrrrrr).
Running well. Just that pinking. If you stand drivers side wing and look at engine it's coming from left side of block at chain side. Love this little car

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
HOw much mate? I'm geared up to do it. Just done full service (like to thank the guy that designed the location, nut size and the fact the oil filter top is plastic grrrrrr).
Running well. Just that pinking. If you stand drivers side wing and look at engine it's coming from left side of block at chain side. Love this little car
send me a pm for fitting cost :)