How 2 fit cam chains

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Re: It's Time

Here is how it looks now Neil. Video clip on the way of how loose the chain is. Cheers

Video:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_th_Video014.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5300012.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5300013.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5300014.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5300016.jpg

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Do you mean fit the main tensioner Neil? I will turn the crank as all is fitted now and see how the chain reacts. I took the clip from the other tensioner out a while back when I fitted the balance chain. Cheers

As what you said above you have me lost a little lol. Cheers for the help so far mate :)

Edit:

I think you want me to have my new tensioner looking like my old one that came out?

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5300021.jpg

Mark Dj

Former Staff

I jumped ahead. The slack has now gone :). The marks are all ok :). Whats next mate? What needs torqued off first :)

Chain Tight & timing marks ok:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5300001.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5300002.jpg

vocky

Staff

yes thats right about the tensioner, if you have now fitted it, then it's almost done !

simply tighten the cam sprocket bolts, use a 24mm spanner to lock the cam and torque them up = 85 Nm + then 30 degrees

use a second person to hold the spanner

might be an idea to remove the tie wrap first, then once the bolts are torqued it's time to refit the covers :)

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Great :). I have just fitted that last part above the chain but it looks very close, is it ok Neil? Cheers

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5300010_1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5300014_1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5300017.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5300018.jpg

JohnnyN

Former Staff

I remember that bit. It does sit extremely close to the top of the chain.

;-)

Mark Dj

Former Staff

I can't find my torque wrench now, I put it away that good I can't remember the location of it. I put it out the way so my dogs did not grab it.

Mark Dj

Former Staff

How does my gauge work? I have fitted it to my torque wrench but it's not moving notsure.gif what.. . I have it set on 0 but I was thinking it should move to 30 as I put the presure on the torque wrench also? I have torqued my bolts to 85Nm

This is my angle device:

torqe.jpg

Edit:

My dog ate the instructions by the way :roll:

JohnnyN

Former Staff

1.Check the specifications

Determine the correct torque value for the bolt or fastener you’re using. This will be in Foot-Pounds or Newton Meters. Also, check the torque angle specifications for the bolt or fastener.

2.Tighten the bolt

Tighten the bolt to the specified torque.

3.Install the gauge

Install the torque angle gauge over the head of the bolt, and then put the torque wrench on top of the gauge.

4.Torque to specifications

Turn the torque wrench the specified number of degrees for that bolt. If the component requires multiple bolts or fasteners, make sure to tighten them all to the same torque value and torque angle.

Mark Dj

Former Staff

I still don't understand it lol. I feel so thick. Do I need to turn my angle device to 30 degrees and work to 0? Or do I start from 0 then watch it go to 30 degrees? No matter what I have done the mark on the angle device does not move!

I give up with that device. I am going to guess what..

vocky

Staff

the chain guide should touch the chain, thats what it's designed to do :)

the angle gauge should be held whilst the socket wrench is turned, otherwise you won't know how far you have moved it.

you can either go 0 -30 or 30 -0 it doesn't matter, infact you could go 60 -90 or whatever, it's just telling you an angle

you can even do the angle bit without the gauge, as long as you move the wrench 30 degrees

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Well that should be ok then. My girlfriend can't even hold the spanner any more on the cam lol. So it must be tight enough. Whats next then Neil? Put the cam cover on? I have just noticed this also, how do I fit this, don't even know where it goes

P5300001-1.jpg

vocky

Staff

cam cover would be next - make sure you have removed the cable ties first, Oh and check the timing marks for the final time :)

That is the crank pulley oil seal, it goes in the lower chain cover, simply push the old seal out and press the new seal in, use a big socket so it goes in nice and level, push it in until it stops

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Great :). Cheers for the help Neil mate :). I am off out know as my girlfriend is nagging me. I will be back asap though to finish my car off lol.............

Mark Dj

Former Staff

I now have both covers on and new crank seal fitted. Just need to get the new crank bolt fitted and plug in sum stuff.

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Not sure how you do that Daz? I am just about ready to torque off the crank bolt now. I know I pulled the clip from the balance tensioner and I let the spring loose on the main tensioner at the rear of the head. Whats the crank bolt torque setting again? notsure.gif Cheers

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Can I finish off torquing my Crank bolt off yet, or have I done something wrong lol?