How 2 fit cam chains

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Re: It's Time

Right done that, how does this look? Does it matter if the other cogs have now moved also with me tuning the crank? Cheers Neil

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5290002.jpg

vocky

Staff

that looks much better :)

just triple check the balancer marks are ok then fit the cam chain kit (I'm paranoid when it comes to the timing marks :LOL: )

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Neil what colour links go to what marks? I have two purple links and a blue one

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Right Neil I am having trouble getting one cog on. The left hand cog won't sit right, I have the bottom cog on the white mark but this one cog won't sit right, the chain is a link slack when it's level on the left.

vocky

Staff

don't worry, the crank isn't exactly aligned yet, it doesn't need to be - just yet

make sure you get the sprocket in the cam groove, this is very important, especially when you do the inlet cam later on, you may find that you have to turn the sprocket out of alignment, don't worry it will be aligned later on

once the sprocket is bolted onto the cam (with the cable tie holding the chain to the mark, then proceed with the other bits

if you like (I know you want to) you can slowly turn the crank to tension the slack chain :)

Mark Dj

Former Staff

So can I leave the botton chain free while I do the cam sprockets first Neil. This is the only way I can get both to sit right unless I turn the crank a little. Cheers mate

vocky

Staff

you need to fit the exhaust sprocket, then the crank sprocket and lastly the inlet sprocket

Mark Dj

Former Staff

It's not working Neil. I will take pics now to show you. I have the exhaust sprocket on ok, then the bottom cog is way off mark. with the chain tight and the bottom mark off I can't get the last sprocket to fit. Pics coming now

vocky

Staff

apart from the crank has jumped a tooth (I did warn you it jumps when you turn your back :LOL: ) it's all fine

you simply turn the cam slightly with the 24mm spanner to align the sprocket :)

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Ah, glad about that. I will get it all lines up again and get it all fitted up :). Cheers Neil

vocky

Staff

just keep an eye on that crank mark, it jumped a tooth when I did my first chain kit, I swear it was aligned !!!!!!!

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Everything is now on but my chain is slack near to the bottom crank cog. It does not look right. All the parts are fitted now apart from the main tensioner. I will post a picture Neil

vocky

Staff

what you do once the inlet sprocket is bolted on is take the slack up from the chain, turn the crank to place the slack on the tensioner side, make sure the crank mark is aligned, it will move !, then fit the tensioner to remove the slack

I would open the tensioner and release the spring, it just requires a screwdriver to turn the sharp end whilst holding the smooth end, then reassemble the tensioner, when fitting it will require some pressure to engage the threads, but at least you know 100% it's tensioned up.