How 2 fit cam chains

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Re: It's Time

All is nipped up and pin is pulled out. Not sure what Neil means by doing the head bolts next, did that mean the guide ones into the head?

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_041_1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_039_1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_038.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_036_1.jpg

Daz

Former Staff

he meant the bolts with the 10mm heads....make sure you do the one you get access to thru the hole in the head...

If i was you also mark,i'd turn the engine anticlockwise slight to get the marks on the balance chain some where near how they are in neils pics....will be easier then when you put the main chain on....

Mark Dj

Former Staff

How do I turn the engine, can I move it with putting a spanner on the cams or do it from the crank like I did before? Will this knock the timing out though?

Daz

Former Staff

u shud be able to turn it by hand mark....dont touch the cams as they aint connected to anything atm....u only need to go back slightly tho....if you cant move it it wont make a diff ..just the top links will be slighlty differnet in postioning to neils pics when fitting the main chain.

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Ok, I will try and turn it from the cogs on the balance chain. It may be hard to make the bigger cog move on the crank though. I will try it now...

Edit:

It's hard to move by hand, I can move it forward but not anti clock wise. Can I turn it by the crank if I put the old bolt back in? Or can I go forward all the way til I meet the marks like Neils?

Daz

Former Staff

just leave as it is mark...u shudnt have a problem anyhow m8....

Mark Dj

Former Staff

I want it the same as Neils lol, can I go forward nearly all the way round til I have it close to Neils picture? I think it went forward by another link trying to make it go round. So it's out more than before now. I can turn it by hand forward no problem but not the other way. I've also put the other cog on the crank now ready for the chain to go on.

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Right I managed to move it a little, I had to take the car out of gear so it would move anti clock wise. It still does not look the same as Neil's picture even though the right hand cog is in the same place as Neils's notsure.gif

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_newlook.jpg

Mark Dj

Former Staff

My wood ruff key is more the other way now also notsure.gif . I must have done something wrong as I can't get it the same as Neil's in the picture even by turning it what.. . Shall I take it all off again and re start? It's strange as my marking are fine, they line up good

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_P5290065.jpg

JohnnyN

Former Staff

You haven't fitted the tensioner bolt to the back of the head already have you? Its just that you have a pic above of it fitted?

JohnnyN

Former Staff

When Daz done mine it was one of the last things IIRC? I'm sure Daz will be on here to put me straight if i've got it wrong.

Mark Dj

Former Staff

I wish it was all done now lol. I will need help tomorrow finishing it off. Cheers

JohnnyN

Former Staff

You're braver than me Mark. Its always a worry doing something like this but you'll have such a sense of achievment once its all done and running again.

;-)

vocky

Staff

you are doing fine Mark :)

firstly remove the main tensioner from the head, leave it to one side, be careful as it's actually two seperate parts, if they come apart then post a pic of how you have refitted them together, yes they can be fitted the wrong way round - don't ask :LOL:

I see you have now aligned the crank to where it needs to be to fit the cam chain, so this is the next job.

I think the left hand chain guide should be loosely fitted first, it has to go down from the top into position

then you need to lower the chain from the top, but first use a cable tie and connect the chain to the exhaust sprocket, fit the tie over the timing mark, then we know it's perfect, once the chain is lowered down then finger tighten the bolt on the exhaust sprocket to the exhaust cam.

then fit the chain to the crank sprocket, then you must finish fitting the side guides, the right hand guide goes in from the crank area into position, but a bit of trial and error will see you get there.

next fit the inlet sprocket to the chain with another cable tie, again over the timing mark, put the bolt into the cam BUT DONT align it yet, make sure everything else (not the tensioner) is fitted ok, then align the inlet sprocket, you will need a 24mm spanner to turn the cam slightly, be careful, slowly turn the cam one way, if it doesn't align then allow the cam to return to where it was then turn it the other way.

once this is loosely bolted up, post a pic of all three timing marks, it's always best to triple check everything, especially the crank timing mark, which seems to jump a tooth when you turn your back :LOL:

once the marks are aligned then fit the tensioner.

two ways, either fit it and then release the tension or my prefered method - release the tension and fit it

finally torque up the cam bolts, using the 24mm spanner to prevent the cam from turning, quite hard on your own so grab a friend.

then post some more pics so we can confirm the timing marks are perfect before refitting the timing cover and rebuilding the engine.

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Right the main tensioner is now removed. The middle did fall out yesterday when I was holding it. Is is ok that my wood ruff key is not sitting straight when looking down from the top? The car is now also back in gear again. Cheers Neil

vocky

Staff

I believe they sit slightly clockwise when the timing is set up, not sure why but they do.

as long as the tensioner has the smooth grooved end sticking out it's ok, the round(ish !) sharp angled end goes inwards.

vocky

Staff

the crank is too far anti-clockwise, it should sit slightly past the top, just whip it out of gear and turn it :)