How 2 fit cam chains

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Re: It's Time

Right everything is now off. Both chains and guides and crank sprockets. I never noticed the wood ruff key on the crank sprockets til I was fighting with the last cog. It was moving left and right a little, would that effect my timing? All I need now is to line up the bottom balance chain and fit the rest of the parts. It's easy enough to do, I had fun :)

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_008_5.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_015_1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_002_6.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_007_9.jpg

Mark Dj

Former Staff

I hope my crank is not suppost to be sitting tdc from looking at the wood ruff key, my picture to yours neil looks like is sitting too far right. Have I fooked it up?

vocky

Staff

don't worry the crank can be fine tuned when the cam chain is fitted.

next job is to clean the block then fit the new balancer chain set

Mark Dj

Former Staff

I can fit it but how to I line it up Neil. Do I put the chain on first then the guides? Cheers mate

vocky

Staff

fit the chain first, aligning the sprockets as you go, then fit the guides, double check all is ok then fit the tensioner and release it - pull the clip

triple check they are aligned, post some pics if you like, then the cam chain can be fitted

Mark Dj

Former Staff

I still am not sure how to line the sprockets up, what coulour links go to what part.

Mark Dj

Former Staff

I think I get the idea. The gold link has to line up with the cog on the top right hand side, the two silver link have to line up with the markings on the crank cog and the small cog near to the tensioner marking?

vocky

Staff

the water pump doesn't need aligning, so it's simply the crank sprocket and the two balancer sprockets, I'm not sure which colour goes where but simply align as the pic below, the marks can only align one way

Attachments

• balancer timing marks.JPG
    balancer timing marks.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,853

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Check these pictures Neil for me as I have done it. I am uploading them now.

I have not nipped all the bolts up yet but this is how it looks now.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_008_6.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_016_1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_018_1.jpg

And where do these parts go?

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_032_1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_0322.jpg

Daz

Former Staff

All the links are lined up ther mark so thats the balance chain on......as for the pics of parts, the top pic is the main chain tensioner,u shud have removed the old one from the rear of the head,and the bottom pic is some sort of spacer,had one in a kit b4, but didnt remove one when i stripped the engine so it didnt get used...

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Can I still remove the old main chain tensioner now Daz? I am glad the bottom is sorted, it's all nipped up now :)

Daz

Former Staff

yeah just take it out mark...shud have taken that out really b4 u stripped the chain but it dont matter.....32mm socket required to undo the blighter tho...

vocky

Staff

looking good :)

just nip the [10mm head] bolts up now, they are only 8 ft lb's so don't over tighten them, then pull the clip from the tensioner

Mark Dj

Former Staff

vocky said:
looking good :)

just nip the [10mm head] bolts up now, they are only 8 ft lb's so don't over tighten them, then pull the clip from the tensioner

I nipped the guide bolts up to as tight as I could get then and the tensioner bolts also. I remove the clips when I seen it was looking good and all was nipped up.

Mark Dj

Former Staff

I did Daz mate, it was slack, seemed like nothing happened when I pulled it out as I think I knocked it with my racket when I was nipping the guide bolts up. It's out now