How 2 fit cam chains

Mark Dj

Former Staff
It's time to do my cam chain and balance shaft chain 63.. . Do I just swap bits over at a time as I grab then from the kit I have? First things first. I need to set my timing up before I start and work, then I need to know how the old chain comes off notsure.gif . Do I need to remove the spark plugs tel..

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Re: It's Time

I don't know how to line up my timing marks before I remove the chain. I am turning the wheel and the chain is moving but I am not sure what I am looking for. All the links on my old chain are all the same colours

This is how it looks now..

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_006_5.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_007_7.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_011_5.jpg

vocky

Staff

thats about in the correct position, it's actually slightly too far clock-wise by about half a link of the chain, so not bad for a beginner :LOL:

Mark Dj

Former Staff

I was tuning the driver wheel with the plugs still in, you can hear the air build up then it just goes slack and moves the chain around, ie it starts off stiff to turn then goes free, then goes still again and so on. I will give it another go and show you the picture :). Cheers Neil

Mark Dj

Former Staff

How can you tell lol. Next thing I need to know is how I go about taking parts off, and putting them back on. What order do I do it? Cheers Neil :)

vocky

Staff

remove the tensioner, remove the cam sprockets, remove the guides, remove the chain and finally the crank sprocket

there is a hidden bolt behind a blanking plug in the head, a 10mm allen key will undo that, then it's a normal 10mm bolthead holding the chain guide

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Cheers for that, but still I would like to know for future reference how the timing is set up? How can you tell by looking at the picture that it is spot on? Cheers.

vocky

Staff

you don't have to set the timing perfect to change the timing chain, you have it within the acceptable range

compare the sprockets to my engine when the timing was exact

Attachments

• upper marks.JPG
    upper marks.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 7,768

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Do I still have to line the balance chain up also? Cheers for the help Neil :). I can't wait til it's all done! :)

vocky

Staff

it's all very easy

firstly you remove all the old chains, then you 'time up' the balancer shafts (we will go through that when ready) fit the balancer chain and then start the cam chain fitment

Mark Dj

Former Staff

So I can remove the old chains ie cam chain and balance chain, and the parts like you said above ie the cam sprockets. Then get round to lining up the balance chain ready to get the new one fitted. I will try and get this all done on the weekend Neil, as I have taken it off :)

vocky

Staff

just don't take off the balancer shaft + water pump sprockets, I'm not sure if you actually get new ones anyway

Mark Dj

Former Staff

What ones are those Neil lol, just so I know. Can you mark them on the picture above for me? Cheers mate

vocky

Staff

just change the balancer chain crank sprocket :)

the balancer shaft sprockets can be a git to swap, they suffer little to no wear, so it's easier to leave them alone

winstar

vocky said:
just don't take off the balancer shaft + water pump sprockets, I'm not sure if you actually get new ones anyway

You get new balancer shaft sprockets but don't bother changing them as their a PITA to get off and than torque the strech bolts.

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Neil, I have removed the timing chain and you know the hidden 10mm bolt, it was loose! I did not even touch it with a socket. How do I line the botton end up next mate :)