How 2 fit cam chains

cheffy

Re: It's Time - How 2 fit cam chains

Hi Gents,

Just doing the chains, sprockets, tensioners and oil spray nozzle on my Son's Vectra. This is a brilliant thread and a massive thank you to all the experts on here for their time and effort in helping us novices!

My (first!) question is very simple - when re-assembling the whole thing should I use any kind of locking compound on the bolts? I'm think specifically of the smaller ones holding the spray nozzle itself and the ones holding the guides? Some of them seemed almost loose when I removed them.

TIA for any further assistance.

Martin.

vocky

Staff

the timing chain kit comes complete with new bolts which have thread-locker applied

JohnnyN

Former Staff

Torque settings for the smaller bolts are minimal and will feel quite loose.

This thread will be my bible for the next week or so whilst I disassemble and re-assemble my head and chain kit etc.
Top thread fella's

This is super with this thread.. I will soon replace my chains, and hope the info from this can help me.
How do I fit the Z20net tensioner. Activated ?
Thanks.

octet

Re: It's Time

vocky said:
balancer chain has to be aligned too

file.php

file.php

Looking carefully at these two pictures they are not consistent. The chain is not in the same position, which is ok, but the red dot in top right in the latter picture has not been correctly drawn to match this movement. The other two red markings are consistent.

Last edited by a moderator:

miniator

Due to being scuppered by a rather stubborn crank bolt - I only got my time and balance chains changed today. (went to a local tyre fitters for them to loosen the bolt first!)

Had this guide down with me on the iPad and it was a great help!

All in all, I thought it would have been much harder! The hardest bit is stripping everything down!!

topbuzz

Top thread - will be planning on doing my chains soon.
There is a great video (in German) on taking a Z22SE apart which includes the timing and balance chains (removal and refitting). It makes much more sense once you watch the video.