Holed Block, Best Course of action?

Two_Hat

Hi All

Got a 53 Plate Astra 2.2SRi with 35k on the clock and it's stuck a Con Rod through the side of the Block. The Cam Chain didn't snap, what's the best way to go about sorting it.
I'm not a mechanic per se, just tinker a bit

Cheers

sandyc

New engine or new block is the only way mate. You cant sort a hole in the block.
If you get a new engine do it's chain before you put it in and you should have a good reliable engine. It would be the quickest easiest way to sort it.

Two_Hat

Does anyone know what the likelihood of the Head surviving Damage?, that way I could change the bottom end and fit a Cam Chain Kit and still come out around the same price as a full 2nd hand unit without doing the chain

vocky

Staff
there may be damage from the piston hitting the valves when the conrod broke free from the crank, so the only way to find out is to whip the head off and check

sandyc

If the chain didnt snap then you're head should be ok. If it was running smoke and rattle free then tansfer it onto another block. I personally would put new piston rings on the new block before I put the engine together.

astra22bertoneauto

you will be VERY VERY lucky of there is no damage to the head. Piston would of hit the valves on that cylinder which would damage valves/rocker arm/rocker locating post.

It happened to me and i suffered a broken rocker/roller arm & broke the arm locating pin it sits on. Engine did fire on 3 cylinders thou. Check and see what damage by taking off rocker cover but tbh just swap whole engine. easier & cheaper.

astra22bertoneauto

Here is a pic just to give you an idea

Attachments

• 381934_10150507517595030_755785029_11201970_309850805_n.jpg
    381934_10150507517595030_755785029_11201970_309850805_n.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 269

Two_Hat

I bought Nick's Engine, now fitted and running sweetly. I took the opportunity to get a Polished & Ported Throttle Body from him while I was at.
We took the Head off my old engine and luckily it survived! So I have a 35K mile Head for sale when i get it cleaned up

astra22bertoneauto

Two_Hat said:
We took the Head off my old engine and luckily it survived! So I have a 35K mile Head for sale when i get it cleaned up

Wish i was as lucky! 2 bent valves, mangled spark plug & a broket tappet. Oh and a missing piston and cam follower!