Hi all.

HarleyPete

Tomorrow I pick up my 2.2 Direct Elite on a 56 plate with 90k on the clock. Juts hoping now that I haven't made a mistake from what I've read about the timing chains. It runs really quiet, in fact so quiet you almost can't hear it when standing next to it. It has quite a comprehensive service history and only thee owners from new the last had for four years.

Pete

Dave Gilbert

Welcome to the site, sounds like you have a good 1 but you want to see proof of chains being done.

vauxhall recommend 100000 miles so its due soon if your not 100% confident in it.
Theres alot of people on here that can either help you fit or fit for you.

HarleyPete

Cheers Dave, some have said walk away, some say get it done, others say with regular oil changes they should be okay. To be honest, I'd quite happily spend what I've got my old car on it having the chains done just so I had the piece of mind. I have sent a pm to evocarlos and asked for some advice. Hopefully he'll at least give me an idea.

5M1THY

When well maintained the 2.2 engine is fantastic ive loved mine from day one and its the reason theres a brilliant forum dedicated to it :)

HarleyPete

I plan on doing oil changes very regularly SMITHY, I'd rather spend 50 or so quid every six months than try to find an engine. Well hopefully, he will send me a reply when he can Dave.

5M1THY

I do mine to much as i get the stick for it lol i do mine every 3k or 3 months ish but the inside of my engine is almost like new apart from wear and tear parts ive never had to worry about the actual engine i personally dont get why people think its a bad engine.. they either havent owned one or they have but havent maintained it and like anything that doesnt get maintained it breaks

HarleyPete

It's cool Dave, I do understand he's a very busy man and in great demand. Guess I just want to make sure I'm not throwing my money down the drain. Taking off what I'm getting for the Zafira I'm selling it's costing me about 1200 quid. Having sunk over £1800 into my 51 plate Zafira in less than three years I'm tired of it and really don't need seven seats either now.

HarleyPete

I was thinking more along the lines of every six months. I don't do high mileage comparatively speaking in fact my old Zafira has only done around 10-12k a year over that last four years.

Dave Gilbert

I do mine every 3000 miles aswell but I onlt do that a year so I dont get any stick for it hahaha.

cant cost more than 30quid for oil n filter, even gm id say.

k&n air filter has a clean 1s a year aswell.

HarleyPete

That's nothing really cost wise is it for the peace of mind that you know the oil is good. I'm hoping that my mileage will slow down a bit as well now as another of my daughters and her partner have now got there own car, lol. Would you recommend every 3k or would twice a year be fine using good quality oil and filter. It's not the cost more the time to do it every 3k especially if I'm only hitting 10-12k a year.

5M1THY

Out of interest smithy, how much does it cost you to do an oil and filter every three months?
It only costs about £20 and thats with genuine parts. Theres so many diffrent places to get the parts from too.

6 months should be fine i only do it ever 3 because i like doing im crap with bodywork so i keep my engine clean instead lol