Help needed,z22se - AF22 gearbox question.

Hello everyone!
Any idea if there is anything different between a AF22 gearbox from a 1.6,1.8 and 2.0 and a AF22 gearbox from a z22se ?
I have to change mine because since yesterday it doesen't want to go in Reverse,and i was wondering if i can buy an AF22 from a smaller or bigger engine.

Thank you in advance !

vocky

Staff
the bellhousing will be different, so only an AF22 z22se or AF22 z22yh or AF22 Saab B207 gearbox will fit the z22se engine (y)

Mine is a Vectra B,2001,z22se,AF22 gearbox.
I found another AF22 gearbox from a Vectra B1, x25xe,wondering if this will be a match...

Last edited:

corsaZ22se

internals of the x25xe will be the same but the bell housing will be different.
the Zafira one may work but it will have a different final drive ratio. you will loose top end speed and economy.

vocky

Staff
your biggest problem is you have a vectra B z22se, they use a different gearbox mounting system to all the other cars.

Vectra B has a front mounting point, the rest have a side mount.

So you need a vectra B z22se AF22 gearbox, none of the others will fit.

I found one from a Vectra B,friday or saturday my mechanic will get to work and swap the transmission.
Ordered new trans oil and oil filter and i can't wait for that day to come...
Thank you so much for all the great info and help !

I'll post about how the new gearbox is acting up and so on.

Last edited:
Hi there.
So i changed the gearbox and it was a complete success.
The gearbox acts like a brand new one.
Now another problem occured...
AutoData and TecDoc say that the gearbox(AF22) needs 3.5 liters of oil "drain&refill".
When i checked the gearbox level it shows way under the minimum mark(the +80c side) and just under the minimum mark on the +20c side.
I have checked the gearbox oil with the car running,at the operating temp. and the shifter in P position,after it ran 2 minutes at idle.

My question is,why do i get those odd readings when i check the oil,after filled it with 3.5 l at first and another 500ml the next day ?

After i added the next day another 500ml,the check engine light dissapeared.

I simply don't get it................if i check the gearbox oil with the engne off the readings are,lets say ok...
But with the engine running and the stick in P the oil barely touches the tip of the metal thingy...
I'm starting to hate thit autoshit gearbox...

HarleyPete

Remember that the oil will be circulating round the gears etc. (I assume that this is the case as with a manual box) when the engine is running and the box is in "P" (park). So the readings will be different to when the engines off and the box internals aren't moving.

corsaZ22se

as HarleyPete says while the engine is running the oil gets drawn into the gearbox and torque converter so level drops.
you may have to use more oil as your box has been removed and will have lost more oil than from a simple drain and refill.

I added 2 liters,now the gearbox should have arround 6-6.3-4 liters.
I have read somewhere on the internet that the AF22 gearbos takes 7.2 liters when drained after a replacement or removed and totaly drained.
The stick level on the 80c side when the engine is at operating temperature shows a little above the MAX marking.
Hope it won't be a problem....
Earlier checked the errors and readings with a tester and everything was clear,at least from the gearbox side it had ZERO error codes.
Thank you so much for all the great info and advices !

Hi everyone !
Yesterday i cleaned the throttle body and the EGR.
For 2 days now,the engine shakes when idling and sometimes the throttle doesen't respond,like something is choking it.
Last night when i was coming back from work at a stop light,when i got the car to a full stop,the engine died.
It doesen't happen all the time.
This happens no matter if the engine is cold or warm.

Any ideas on what it could be ?