richard165

Hello, need some advice

I fitted new balance chain, timing chain kit I have removed z20net tensioner and rechecked activation and is fine so put it back in fully active. Brand New oil filter and 10w40 magnatec oil. On cold start it makes this paranoia inducing sound...just for a second

I need help is driving me mad, is this normal because I'm very worried.

richard165

Everyone's out mowing their grass. Typical lol it's just for a second like somethings running dry Just after start then it quietens down. If I put a longer video on the car would be running ok. It is only on cold starts

milo

Everyone's out mowing their grass. Typical lol it's just for a second like somethings running dry Just after start then it quietens down. If I put a longer video on the car would be running ok. It is only on cold starts

That start up sounds normal to me bud. I don't hear any weird rattle or knocking tbh

richard165

It's difficult to replicate as it only happens first thing. I've double checked the tensioner as I say, was harder to put it back in activated. You know what these things are like with the timing chain. I know what happens when they fail and I don't want to do it again. Does your car do the same sort of noise first thing?

corsaZ22se

sounds a little bit like starter is not disengaging as quick as it should?
hard to say with a video?
where abouts are you? maybe someone is close enough to meet up and hear it?

richard165

Hi fellas thanks for help. I'm near pontefract by the way. Oil light never comes on. I know the video is short, however the noise is only for less than a second.

Is there anything simple I should check and is it serious? :unsure:

corsaZ22se

your best bet is to see if anyone is close who has experience with the 2.2 and let them hear it.
few options here but if its for less than a second then not to much to worry about unless it lasts longer.

corsaZ22se

hard to tell, the sound quality over the internet is so poor i could be a number of things.
when mine have been parked for a while as in a few weeks/months they have a little rattle as they fire up but only for 1-2 seconds as do most engines until the oil gets round.
someone else had a back fire through inlet not to long ago on here. not something i have seen or heard myself though.

richard165

That's what I thought to be honest the oil spray for the chain is bottom/mid right so thinking about it rattling for less than a second... part of the chain may be 'dry ' after being parked overnight and maybe it takes a second for oil pressure to get up to feed to everything. It doesn't sound at all like chain slack, they're new and the reason for replacement was there was a rattle from balance chain and thanks to evocarlos the tensioner had been checked and double checked.

I suppose the cams may take a second to be supplied with oil too?

I'm hoping the above makes sense, I was just a bit concerned, more so now because of wear. There are no other z22se cars I can check against and you guys are very knowledgeable, and friendly!

patricks

Your video runs for 9 seconds. At exactly what point in time is the strange noise?? - there is what sounds like a microphone tap at 5 and 6 seconds otherwise sounds normal

patricks

Im no expert but that sounds like every car ive ever owned - the engine hasnt even started at that point and all u can hear is the starter motor cranking.... im listening thru good quality head phones (audio is my other passion) perfectly normal as far as i can tell

corsaZ22se

we do try to help where we can.
how long ago did carl do the chains? he would have told you if there was something else that's on its way out if it wasn't to long ago and played up since?