Head Gasket or Condensation problem?

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Head Gasket or Condensation? I think I may have a little problem, it may be nothing as I am not losing water at any time, infact I have not used up any water since I bought the car before Xmas. When I remove the top from my engine it's creamy colour. I have been told it may just be condensation :? . What do you lot think from the pictures? My water level is mint and clean like it should be. Thanks for any info :)

Pics just taken and I have just traveled from work to home about 5 miles.
hc1.jpg

hc2.jpg

phil-h

I'm currently investigating this. Had a top-end rebuild in September 2005 and got some mayo on the end of the dipstick and some under the cap. Went back to the garage who did the rebuild (Thanks, cam chain guide, for breaking like a twig). Everyone has said its the head gasket, garage guy says not necessarily and he will have a look at it on Tuesday. Just got a compression tester, see if any of my pots are low before I take it in on Tuesday

phil-h

phil-h said:
I'm currently investigating this. Had a top-end rebuild in September 2005 and got some mayo on the end of the dipstick and some under the cap. Went back to the garage who did the rebuild (Thanks, cam chain guide, for breaking like a twig). Everyone has said its the head gasket, garage guy says not necessarily and he will have a look at it on Tuesday. Just got a compression tester, see if any of my pots are low before I take it in on Tuesday

Did my compression test, results as follows:

Pot: 1 2 3 4 (dry test only)
168 172 172 174

P!$$ easy to do too, takes 10 minutes which is real fast for *any* work on the z22se :p Got to say, really chuffed that the head gasket is ok. Also after some research, rings and pistons appear to be good too.

Took it into the garage on Tuesday, they were now looking for an oil leak. Oil detected in the belt pulleys and all over the suspension. Wheel and wheel arch cover removed, Steam cleaned down the side of the engine, then run for a few minutes to get oil pressure back up and maintained for a few minutes. Nothing immediately detectable, but nipped up the bolts on the crank case cover as some traces could have been coming from there.

New filter & oil (5 /40 fully synthetic) installed. Will have a look tomorrow if I got any new mayo.

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Cool, nice to see you had it fully tested :D. I would give it about a week to see if you have any mayo showing again. I can't get rid of it, it just keeps coming back and this is my second oil change, but it's only small traces :roll: . In the summer I have been told it will probably vanish :p

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Just checked my oil before and I had white mayo on the cap again :evil: , it's a pain, I would like to get rid of it all together some how notsure.gif . My water is still mint and clean

Gazza

Former Staff
take it to vauxhall and ask them to do it at least if it does come back in a day or so you can take it back and they should sort it for free ??

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Imay as well get it sorted from them, it's peeing me off a bit now :roll: . I never had this problem when I had dirty oil in the engine :LOL: , I only started to get it when I did a fresh oil change :roll:

Mark Dj

Former Staff
It's Condensation. New picture!

Well I checked my oil cap after getting back in from work just before and it looks like my mayo problem is defo condensation as show in this new picture :roll: . You can see the water starting to form after it's cooling down.

conde1.jpg

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Any info on the new picture above? What can I do to stop it. Should I try better oil, will it need an oil change again or will I still get this problem :cry:

Lightning Coupé

just a thought mark, but have you got the aluminium rocker cover? I have a plastic one and I'm wondering if they changed it to reduce the amount of condensation? It might sound daft but I'm sure plastic dosent lend to the build up of condensation like aluminium due to its thermal insulation propertys.

I suspect that as long as you drive a short journey to work and back your never really going to get rid of it. Short of blocking up the breathers I dont see how? And here's an extream solution, you could re route the breather pipes into a small container full of silica gell packs instead of your air intake? Naaa, thats just daft. lol

Mark Dj

Former Staff
I am not sure what one I have mate notsure.gif . What does it look like lol, is it the top half of my engine as this is it here..

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_undercover.jpg

Lightning Coupé

Yea, youve got the earlyer Aluminium rocker cover (The big silver bit at the top of your engine). I have the later plastic one, I think from 2003 onwards? You can see from the pic below its made of black injection moulded plastic. It's probably more of a cost saving exersize, but i'd bet the thermal insulating propertys of the plastic would reduce the amount of condensation build up in the rocker box.

ahomepage.ntlworld.com_w.marsland1_LightningWeb_MyCoupePics_images_AirFilter.jpg

Gazza

Former Staff
i never knew there were two types will have to see which i have under mine notsure.gif

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Ah, I see the difference now. I just wish my problem would go away :cry: . Would fully synthetic Vauxhall oil help out or not? I know it's probably a bit thicker notsure.gif