Harrop Engine Build

alanoo

This crank is discontinued and it is very unlikely they have some in stock ;)

vocky

Staff
a nice crank Alanoo, but no trigger wheel for the crank sensor and too much money :LOL:

I have a standard z22se crank now so thats going to get balanced along with the flywheel / clutch / pulley

vocky

Staff
I've almost finished the inlet ports and cylinder chambers, so a few pics...

Attachments

• IMGP2673.JPG
    IMGP2673.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 623
  • IMGP2674.JPG
    IMGP2674.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 629
  • IMGP2675.JPG
    IMGP2675.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 624
  • IMGP2676.JPG
    IMGP2676.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 629
  • IMGP2677.JPG
    IMGP2677.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 637
  • IMGP2678.JPG
    IMGP2678.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 624
  • IMGP2679.JPG
    IMGP2679.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 612

vocky

Staff
Compcams - sc camshafts
GM racing - oil pump gears, adjustable cam sprockets, +0.5mm valve set, double spring set, retainers etc
GM - 68mm 2.0sc throttle body
Eagle - steel rods
Wiseco - forged 8.9:1 cr piston set
Cometic - head gasket
ARP - head bolt set

vocky

Staff
I collected the head and block from the engine shop the other day, the valve seats have been enlarged for the +0.5mm valves, new bronze valve guides fitted, head skimmed and the block rebored for the new forged pistons :D

I will hopefully have the head fully assembled over the next few days/week.

I also need the flywheel/clutch/crank pulley from the donor car to get the rotating stuff balanced so the bottom end build won't be for several months :(

Attachments

• IMGP2682.JPG
    IMGP2682.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 514
  • IMGP2684.JPG
    IMGP2684.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 527
  • IMGP2686.JPG
    IMGP2686.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 524

vocky

Staff
rik1083 said:
what kind of rebore?
did it get stronger liners?
the block was rebored to Wiseco's stated piston bore size

liners are required after 400 bhp according to the GM build book, so not required as bhp will be between 350-380 ish dunno..

If I decide to build a 500+ bhp hybrid then it will get liners (y)

rik1083

i take it that's just a no expenses spared option?
I won't have to get my block rebored for the 0.02 oversize pistons will i?

vocky

Staff
you will need a rebore for 0.02 oversize pistons, thats what the wiseco's are.

the z22se can only be rebored the once, then it's new liners or another block.

the uprated liners are quite expensive, probably best part of £1k fitted !

rik1083

hmm.. don't really want to take the engine out :(
is it ok to fit the stock bore ones then? on the allecotec site they advise against it :(

vocky

Staff
I heard you get bad piston slap with the standard sized forged pistons.

But until my wiseco's had bed in (about 130 miles) I experienced the same notsure.gif

I have noticed that the latest wiseco 8.9:1 pistons have a coating on the piston skirt, I assume to stop piston slap dunno..

my 11:1 cr pistons are actually quite old, the guy in Canada bought them several years ago and never fitted them, then I bought them from him.

I have since discovered that z22yh pistons are almost identical to my 11:1 cr pistons, they even have the coating on the sides, the only difference being they don't have the valve pockets machined into the crowns, but thats an easy job for a machine shop.

What about using saab turbo pistons or vectra z20net, they won't need a rebore (y)

they cost about £120-150 each, but come with rings

winstar

vocky said:
I heard you get bad piston slap with the standard sized forged pistons.

But until my wiseco's had bed in (about 130 miles) I experienced the same notsure.gif

I have noticed that the latest wiseco 8.9:1 pistons have a coating on the piston skirt, I assume to stop piston slap dunno..

my 11:1 cr pistons are actually quite old, the guy in Canada bought them several years ago and never fitted them, then I bought them from him.

I have since discovered that z22yh pistons are almost identical to my 11:1 cr pistons, they even have the coating on the sides, the only difference being they don't have the valve pockets machined into the crowns, but thats an easy job for a machine shop.

What about using saab turbo pistons or vectra z20net, they won't need a rebore (y)

they cost about £120-150 each, but come with rings

don't the saab/net pistons have a different pin diameter to the z22se?

Edit acording to GM perf build book 3rd edition the LSJ/LNF have a 23.007-23.017mm pin verses 20.007-20.021mm for the z22se