Gurus - im having difficulty removing water pump

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Finally locking tool is in place it screws on not slots in i see. Last hurdle to overcome is the removing the 3 bolts from the water pump sprocket - dont seem to be making any progress here at all. Visibility and access from above and below engine is restricted - and im concerned that the bolts will fall into the timing case when i attempt to remove them. What tips can anyone provide here and what tools should i be using.....no progress with ratchet and socket....
i used a long reach 10mm socket on a 1/4" ratchet
with the tool in place the bolts cant drop in the timing case it blocks it
WP_20150405_15_24_40_Pro.jpg

patricks

Jwalker: Yes it came with sprocket i got genuine part from autovaux

Carl: Thank you once again but i dont think i have the manual dexterity required to remove or reinstall pump like that because its a very intricate and fiddly task. So im going to try and raise height of engine so i can actually see what the fudge im doing :) That said im reassured by ur comments about the water pump tool stopping any bolts from falling into timing case.

Anyone: To jack up engine slightly (maybe 4 or 5 inches) do i need remove driver side engine mount or any other engine mount because id rather not have to do that if i dont have to? Block of wood under sump will do the job yes???

Timbo

Jwalker: Yes it came with sprocket i got genuine part from autovaux

Carl: Thank you once again but i dont think i have the manual dexterity required to remove or reinstall pump like that because its a very intricate and fiddly task. So im going to try and raise height of engine so i can actually see what the fudge im doing :) That said im reassured by ur comments about the water pump tool stopping any bolts from falling into timing case.

Anyone: To jack up engine slightly (maybe 4 or 5 inches) do i need remove driver side engine mount or any other engine mount because id rather not have to do that if i dont have to? Block of wood under sump will do the job yes???

If you don't remove the engine mounting and bracket you only make the job harder, and in any case, the mounting will stop the engine moving too far - that's what it's for

If you are replacing the sprocket, then it's got to be chains off, no?

Last edited:

patricks

If you don't remove the engine mounting and bracket you only make the job harder, and in any case, the mounting will stop the engine moving too far - that's what it's for

If you are replacing the sprocket, then it's got to be chains off, no?

Hi Timbo no not replacing the sprocket thats the purpose of the holding tool, it holds the sprocket - and chain - in place whilst you are changing the pump. Ive managed to remove the water pump now without raising the engine but it involved a lot skin scraping lol its a tight job space wise. The trick to removing bolts holding the sprocket is to have one hand holding the ratchet head and the other holding the handle - takes about 15 mins for each bolt mind u buts it possible - if painfully slow....

Extending a BIG thank you to everyone z22se.co who offered advice doing the job........