Gurus - im having difficulty removing water pump

patricks

Hello all - having trouble removing one bolt in the housing of the water pump ive circled it red in the diagram - access is a nightmare - please dont tell me i have to remove my exhaust manifold to get to it. Is there a special tool i need - at the moment im trying to use a socket and an allen key but no success so far......any ideas from those that have done it would be great

Attachments

• WATER PUMP.JPG
    WATER PUMP.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 266

vocky

Staff
you don't need to remove the rear panel to remove the water pump, just the four 13mm headed bolts

patricks

you don't need to remove the rear panel to remove the water pump, just the four 13mm headed bolts

Thanks for the reply Vocky - not sure if i understand u correctly - you're saying i dont need to remove the water pump housing cover? Because its one of those bolts im having trouble with its tucked away behind thermostate pipe and exhaust manifold. Till now ive been using the information on this

http://www.speedsterclub.nl/bibliot...-Coolant Pump, Remove and Install (Z22SE).pdf

My problem is in the step prior it says to remove the thermostat pipe - which doesnt want to come out - so i figured i needed to remove housing for the coolant pipe to come out.........if i was able to remove the pipe i think i could access the bolt im having problems with. Does the thermostat pipe screw out i should i just pull it?? Again thanx for ur help

KevinH

Once you have removed the thermostat housing bolts, the coolant pipe should just pull out from the water pump together with the thermostat housing (it is not screwed in).

The two coolant pipe 'o' rings should be.renewed and lubricated with silicon grease on re-assembly.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
the link tube is only held in by o-rings with some wd40 and a bit of a wobble it would come out the housing
and theres no need to split the casings the pump has loads of room to come out :)

WP_20150405_15_44_30_Pro.jpg

patricks

Thanks fellas - will give the coolant pipe some rough treatment then as its not budging at the moment. The other issue i need advise on is the heat shield - the stud broke when i was removing it - so half of it came out and the other half is in the exhaust manifold. Concerned if i drill it out debri will go inside the manifold and into the cat.....any ideas???

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Thanks fellas - will give the coolant pipe some rough treatment then as its not budging at the moment. The other issue i need advise on is the heat shield - the stud broke when i was removing it - so half of it came out and the other half is in the exhaust manifold. Concerned if i drill it out debri will go inside the manifold and into the cat.....any ideas???
vaccum ?

HarleyPete

Vacuum as Carl says or you can (I've done it myself) use grease round the hole to collect the swarf as you drill.

patricks

Vacuum as Carl says or you can (I've done it myself) use grease round the hole to collect the swarf as you drill.
Hmmmm that could work i think i might try a practice run on something else!! I just dont want to have to remove the manifold as im sure i dont have the physical strength to do it.....i mean seriously - im having trouble removing a coolant pipe that's held in place only with wd40 ;)

patricks

success coolant pipe is off and water pump service housing plate removed - tho i have the tool in the service housing how does one see to align it properly when u cant see between the tool and the water pumps sprocket ????

Timbo

success coolant pipe is off and water pump service housing plate removed - tho i have the tool in the service housing how does one see to align it properly when u cant see between the tool and the water pumps sprocket ????

Refer to page 7 of the doc in your post #3.

patricks

Carl: when u say "it just fits" do u mean as long as tool is flush with timing case then that means its in the right place ....dunno how how anyone can manage to fit a rachet down there......is it possible to raise or lower the height of engine so that u can actually see if tool is in right spot and access things easier???

Timbo: The procedure is simple as per the doc but the problem is access cant physically see anything down there

patricks

Got it! Damn locking tool has pins that are too short and wont lock the water pump sprocket. I know u english are a polite and refined bunch but we Australians are a bit more forthcoming so i cant help myself .b.....d of a locking tool from a b....d of an ebay merchant that i got it from!!!! Now i have to find alternative locking pins of the correct length and diameter aaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhh.....

HarleyPete

Not all of us lol. Not good if they sold it as the right part and it isn't. I have Australian relatives so I can appreciate the sentiment mate.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
mines like this and it just fits over the pump what i meant was the pins just drop in to the hole when its in the right place and then you just tighten them
WP_20150405_14_59_52_Pro.jpg

patricks

Carl mine looks very similar its a laser tool. But the pins are too short. I experimented outside the engine with the sprocket that was supplied with the new pump and its as u say - just rotate the tool and the pins more or less fall into place with the sprocket and neither the sprocket or tool can rotate. But when i try to do the same thing in the water pump service opening the tool just spins and spins wont lock into place.............in the words of clarkson "how hard can it be" from this i can only assume the pins must be too short....

Here is a pic of the set up outside the engine as u can see the locking pins dont extend much beyond the sprocket actually just flush with it really....

Attachments

• PUMP.jpg
    PUMP.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 207

patricks

Carl also noticed the locking pins on the tool have threads at the end - why would this be the case when the slots in the sprocket are not threaded for them to screw into?

patricks

Sorry i'm being a pest, but do the locking pins slot into place like the pins on the cam locking tool or do the locking pins for the water pump holding tool screw into place. Cause if they screw into place then problem solved!!!!!

patricks

Finally locking tool is in place it screws on not slots in i see. Last hurdle to overcome is the removing the 3 bolts from the water pump sprocket - dont seem to be making any progress here at all. Visibility and access from above and below engine is restricted - and im concerned that the bolts will fall into the timing case when i attempt to remove them. What tips can anyone provide here and what tools should i be using.....no progress with ratchet and socket....