gear knob removal

furn

ive just bought a richbrook gear knob off ebay and i want to know if anyone has any tips on getting the old knob off . i changed the gear knob on my last vec and i ended up hacking it off. somebody must have an easier way.

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Hacksaw mate. The other way is to drill down the centre until it just breaks thru' into the stick and tap it out to M10. Screw in an M10 caphead and just keep tightening until the reverse action of the screw lifts the old knob off the stick.

Tools needed: 8,5mm Drill, M10 x 1,5 Tap & Tap Wrench.

;-)

furn

what a f**king nightmare getting the gear knob off today i wish i never started

right the gear knob is a splined fit with a keyway no glue just a tight fit (which i found out to late)

first i tried twisting it off no good even with eagle beaks on it it took the outer rubber off and left the metal part underneath
next after drilling the middle i realised i couldnt tap it and pop it off with a bolt because there not enough of the top of the shaft to push against, so i attacked it with a hacksaw and cut down one side and across the top then prised it open with a big screwdriver i got it off now only to discover ive bent the top inch of the gear stick (twisting it with eagle beaks) where the splines and keyway are and cut to deep and took the edge off the keyway.

cue basil fawlty impression in the garage

after trying to fit the new bottom part of the gear lever the bit with three grub screws to the shaft unsuccessfully because the shaft isnt round , i filed an 8mm bolt down to fit in the keyway shaft to give me something to tighten the grubscrews on too worked fine , but because the shaft is bent it wont go on straight so when you pull the shaft up to put it in reverse it is a bit tight going into the bottom of the gear knob.

its on in a fashion but i think im going to buy a short shift or a new gear stick assembly.

moral of the story either dont bother or dont get a ruff arsed pit sparky to fit it!

JohnnyN

Former Staff
I had that problem of the lifting bit catching the bottom of the gearknob. I got over it by fiddling about with the 3 grub screws until it sat central. Just a case of loosening one off and tightening another.

furn

ive messed around for ages but the shaft is bent so it makes it v hard,

ive just realised vocky isnt always right

they are press fit and glued

i thought you knew everything vocky :eek: :LOL: