Fuel tank realise valve

Daz86

On the Motorway today and my fuel gauge went up again . so pulled over at services and opend the filler cap and there was a s**t load of pressure . So left it a tad loose and was fine again then .how can I fix the valve .please don't say the tank needs to cum off ..

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
its in the engine bay
older cars by the drivers shocker tower or on the alternator on newer cars
you can check its operation with op com

Daz86

Thanks What a relief it's a 03 I'll check with op com tomoz .is it driven buy the alternator . Slightly of topic but I've got a power steering problem intermitant from start up ive herd it's the alternator
Is that a sighn of a bad alternator

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
the vent solenoid just sits on top of the alternator on a bracket its not ran from it :)

normally a low voltage battery or bad earth (battery to body) will cause the PS pump to start slow then build up speed over 30sec till the alternator give it some juice
the alternator can be checked for charging voltage with a mulimeter it should be 14.2v when stone cold and around 13.7v when the engine is up to temperature with nothing on (heaters/lights/radio)

if its lower then 13v then that could indicate a battery or alternator charging problem

Daz86

Finely got the car on op com . When should the tank valve be open . I've got another today from a scrap yard but unsure how to test other than a drive up the m6 lol

On the other hand seem to have a good voltage charge at 14.7V

Daz86

Well the valve deffo works had it on a battery lastnight and it opens and u can blow through it . But still no change on the car. Opcom says its opening

What could be be causing this