Front end repair possible?

AGENTKB

Hi guys, someone just ran into me and insurance have said its a write off needs a new rad, headlight light, fog light, fan belt and I think its a cross member? That holds the bumper in place. Think its worth it? I'll be doing the work myself. And getting bits from scrappy. Thanks guys

Attachments

• 20210422_110708.jpg
    20210422_110708.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210422_110716.jpg
    20210422_110716.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210422_110737.jpg
    20210422_110737.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210422_110701.jpg
    20210422_110701.jpg
    833.2 KB · Views: 96

AGENTKB

Just spoke to insurance, going by them I just need to repair damage and no need for inspection or re mot!. Does the cross member just unbolt Kevin?

KevinH

I've got an idea it does, but not 100% sure (I have a Vectra B SRi).
Do you have a Haynes manual by any chance? it may describe how it's removed.

Any damage to aircon condenser?

AGENTKB

Oh yeah got one upstairs. Forgot about that, not sure but the pipe work for it was pushed hard up against the aux belt. Will need renewed. 100% ill have a look thank you KevinH

AGENTKB

Just had good look through manual and it doesn't say how to remove it just the radiator. Is there two rads?

KevinH

Well kind of, there is the normal engine radiator and an aircon condenser (looks like a smaller rad) which is mounted in front of the engine radiator and will have a few aluminium pipes connected to it.
The aircon compressor is mounted on the lower engine block, beneath the alternator, which will also have pipes going in and out of it - best check they're not damaged too.

AGENTKB

Ah good call ill have a wee investigate when im doing the other work. Just one more question lol would it damage the air con compressor if it rotates withuut the gas in the system ? As I would like just to get car back on road atm

corsaZ22se

I'm shocked insurance don't want any kind of checks done now! We had a minor bump in a Pug 205 van which lead to the drivers door needing replacing, it still opened and shut only you couldn't drop the window. Was written off. We pushed the dent out and had to get a new MOT on it for insurance. Must depend on the company?

The A/C will not work if there is no gas in it. The pump clutch will not engage as it will not see any pressure. Safe to drive until you get it all fixed.

AGENTKB

Written off for a door???? Wow thats some insurance. Yeah I wasn't expecting that response at all. The guy at esure just said its down to trust. It was categorised N as non structural so no need for inspection. Thanks for your info Corsaz22se. Better roll my sleeves up...............

corsaZ22se

Uneconomical repair.
Cost of a new door, paint and fitting was over 50% of the vans value.
Dad's 57 plate Meriva got written off for 2 doors as well, We complained and they just about agreed as it had to find high spec'd auto Meriva's. That was a £1800 repair bill :eek::eek::eek:

AGENTKB

Thats pure craziness !!. Coraz22se. Its def a steep l
curve dealing with insurance companies.
I'm glad I will be giving it a go to fix it myself. My insurer said if the other party doesn't contact them I'll not get most of my money wtf I'm glad I've got his address. As I ain't having that!

corsaZ22se

I'm the same, try to avoid insurance if possible but when the 3rd party is paying you have to go along with them.
Anything under £2,000 is not worth claiming for as it puts the premium up to much next time.
I had a rough year last year as in the tail end of 2019 someone cloned my car and I was accused of a hit and run, causing a lot of damage to another car. It was near on 200miles from where I live, mid week and no way my car would have come out unmarked. Took a year to sort it though which put my premiums up a lot :mad: Sure they draw numbers out of a hat each year and see if we fall for the first price. :confused::rolleyes:
Good luck with the repairs (y)

AGENTKB

So they stole your reg and used it on another car? Daaaaaam thats harsh alright and a long time to get it sorted.

corsaZ22se

Yeah, its so simple to do that. I feel for the 3rd party who now has no choice but to claim on their insurance for some toe rags actions. :mad:
Whoever did it had the same colour Corsa C as well.
Had my front reg plate stolen while paying for fuel once as well but they didn't get the rear off.

AGENTKB

I'll never understand how some people can do that type of thing to others (sighs). But anyway before a big rant lol its a new week and im looking forward to sorting my car with the help of you guys on here

corsaZ22se

A sign of the time we live in. :(
Anyway on to the new week (y)
I did get a good rebate on my insurance after 14 months of being accused, see what they offer it for this year?