Z22SE For one year now I can't still make my car run smoothly

Sidicer

Make a new livedata after ECU reset by disconnecing the battery terminal for some time (~30 minutes) to see whether the fuel trims are changed or not. The build up on all plugs should not be the effect of one leaky injector. Anyway, how about you plugs now?
Two Black with sut on them, one brown and has lots of buildup and one brown without buildup (I'll have to get new plugs before continuing to test), but the oil in the intake is very scary

figo126

id says pvc , I have had this too oil in my inlet manifold ,and it was a brand new gm pvc , I got p**sed off with it , filled it with silicone and ran a catch can,,,

Sidicer

id says pvc , I have had this too oil in my inlet manifold ,and it was a brand new gm pvc , I got p**sed off with it , filled it with silicone and ran a catch can,,,
But the oil fumes are coming out of everwhere, air intake pipe, around valve cover, out of valve cover :D I'm pretty sure my PCV system is clogged solid

figo126

if I were you id take manifold off ,give it a good degrease then blast out with pressure washer, there will be years worth of crud inside ,, fit new pvc , clean throttle body ,, fit back together with new gaskets ,then check for air leaks using carb cleaner spraying along manifold and throttle body, air leaks will make it run crap,,

Sidicer

If I blow into the Valve Cover Oil Ventilation pipe and its like blowing into a wall and it doesnt come out between intake 2&3 cilinders - its clogged?

Sidicer

I have Oil all over the valves, My intake is bathing in oil, two spark plugs are burned in oil, my engine looks like it has parkinsons on idle and if you floor it - it's better to just run besides my astra, it consumes 1L in around 100km... Is my engine just ... dying on me ? Do I seriously dont have any other chance exept rebuilding it or swaping in something else?

Sidicer

the inlet manifolds do tend to fill up with oil after many miles, it is caused by the PCV system.
I blocked off egr pipe that goes into the inlet and removed the pcv pipe that goes into air inlet, what other things I should or could do to solve this oil problem? Maybe that hole drilled into the valve cover in the middle and route it into a catch can or back into the oil pan?

Berto

I have Oil all over the valves, My intake is bathing in oil, two spark plugs are burned in oil, my engine looks like it has parkinsons on idle and if you floor it - it's better to just run besides my astra, it consumes 1L in around 100km ...

^ Sounds like loads of blow-by generating loads of crankcase pressure that isn't properly evacuated and wreaks havoc inside the engine, compounded by stuck oil control rings (common on high mileage Z22SEs due to the defective piston design, see here).

If I were you I'd first reconnect the pre-throttle crankcase breather hose (the one that goes from cam cover to the airbox<=>TB pipe).

Then remove the intake manifold to check that the metered orifice is unobstructed, clearing if necessary.

And/or do a post-throttle cranckcase evacuation enhancement, or what's called a "PCV by-pass" here around. See here and here.

Sidicer

^ Sounds like loads of blow-by generating loads of crankcase pressure that isn't properly evacuated and wreaks havoc inside the engine, compounded by stuck oil control rings (common on high mileage Z22SEs due to the defective piston design, see here).

If I were you I'd first reconnect the pre-throttle crankcase breather hose (the one that goes from cam cover to the airbox<=>TB pipe).

Then remove the intake manifold to check that the metered orifice is unobstructed, clearing if necessary.

And/or do a post-throttle cranckcase evacuation enhancement, or what's called a "PCV by-pass" here around. See here and here.

I will be doing the by-pass but I was thinking of putting a catch can to collect oil from both breather-hose and by-pass.
Also, could you take a look at my post in "Engine" subforum? Thank you a lot

Berto

^ Carch cans are a nice idea, but make sure that they are of reasonable quality and don't leak any vacuum, particularly the one on the post-throttle line. Beware that the typical cheap catch-cans from ebay are hopeless pieces of crap that will leak vacuum like sieves.

Forgot to mention that a thicker oil would help, I run my 240K+ km Z22SE on 5W50.

Not sure what post you mean. please paste a link to it.

Sidicer

^ Carch cans are a nice idea, but make sure that they are of reasonable quality and don't leak any vacuum, particularly the one on the post-throttle line. Beware that the typical cheap catch-cans from ebay are hopeless pieces of crap that will leak vacuum like sieves.

Forgot to mention that a thicker oil would help, I run my 240K+ km Z22SE on 5W50.

Not sure what post you mean. please paste a link to it.

https://z22se.co.uk/threads/whats-this-connector-dangling-in-the-end-of-the-engine.29647/
Thank you ❤

Sidicer

20190211_185822.gif

Well now we wait for gasket maker to fully cure and we'll see if anything helped :nailbiting:

Sidicer

After three months of saving up and getting my poor Astra G to a good shop in Lithuania I have a bit of an update...

Long story short:
The previous shop that "changed" my timing/oil pump chain/gears f**ked my baby up BIG TIME... The camshaft gears where put on SOMEHOW wrong, sheared the locating pins, the chain was put on randomly so timing was also off..
Ruined gears, ruined chain, piston seals blew out, intake camshaft rotated and valves slapped my pistons hard. Because of the valve seals and ruined valves piston rod bearings got ruined also...

So I'm waiting now for about a 1000€ repair (if they manage to fit into it).
Head is in another shop for restoration, waiting for it to get back and to start assembling the engine..

Here are some pictures I managed to take while visiting the shop:

20190423_131640.jpg20190423_134133.jpg20190423_150922.jpg20190423_160709.jpg

Also while my car sat almost undriven for the winter and now at the shop it starter rusting really bad near the rear quarter panels.. So that's another project for a broke student right here .. Haha .. I love how almost all of my daily driven cars become projects at some point because of me trying to save any buck I can and then regretting that after couple of months or only days..

Last edited:

IDI AMIN

You could tell from the videos it didn't sound right. Surprised it still moved with all the problems that have been discovered.

The first thing i would be doing if i was you, Would be going back to the garage that done the work and getting my money back. It's been fu##ed big time.

Chances are you will need new valves and probably new valve guides fitted, If the pistons have been hitting the valves.

you should be doing the work yourself. So it does not get messed up again. And then you know it will be done properly. Especially if you are a student.

I done all this work myself before with very limited amount of tools and outside my house, not at a garage.

Apart from getting the cylinder head skimmed and fitting valve guides which can be very tricky if you have not done it before, This work can be done at home. It will save a lot of labour costs.

There is plenty of information on the forum to help with the rebuild work that needs done.