Resource icon

Exterior fit Hid bulbs in astra G

Daz

Former Staff
The correct answer is no, as it doesnt need to have a cat test. As there are no opels in the emmisions manual, so it can be tested to non cat limits. (got told that by the training guy when i done my mot test) if you test it as a vauxhall then thats incorrect..

MikeS

Former Staff
the HID's come down the beam pattern, so in essence same as any other bulb

as for cats i had a j plate gsi that had no cat and didnt need emissions test
i remember vosa doing road side emissions test in the late 90's, i got pulled in a nova gte

i see a lot of opel zafira's on the road

astra22bertoneauto

Ok.. had a word with mot man in work 2day.. he showed me the speical notice for the new rules which come into force tomorow(20/03/2013)

Then we went on the mot computer to see what failures are on there..

Now from what i read, if you have hid's fitted from standard and they have auto levelers and washers, they have to work.
There was no failures for aftermarket fitted hid's fitted into non projector headlamps, or any headlamp as it happens.
As for washers and levellers needing to be fitted to aftermarket hid's there is no mention of it at all or any failures that i could see.

Now the only reason i could see aftermarket hids being failed is the beam image, as they are not designed to be fitted in normal lamps hence dazzling other road users may come into it.
Saying that i had hids in both mine and alys coupes for 3 years or more and the image was spot on..

So basically the DfT statement on 1 of my links was basically someones sad wet dream on a Sunday night on how to pass away the boredom on a Monday morning!

i dont stand corrected :)
- well i do though!

MikeS

Former Staff
Saying that i had hids in both mine and alys coupes for 3 years or more and the image was spot on

u owned those 2 astra coupes for 3 years ?

cheesus time went quick

MikeS

Former Staff
i am looking at a car like aly's on saturday :p, might be time to hand over the 2.2 to the missus and still get the chance to work on it :)