Resource icon

Exterior fit Hid bulbs in astra G

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
evocarlos submitted a new resource:

fit Hid bulbs in astra G (version 1.0) - fit Hid bulbs in astra G

howdy people so i just done my hid bulbs and thought i show you all how i did it...

ai90.photobucket.com_albums_k262_evocarlos_Image114Small.jpg

Step 1
disconect brown bulb holder from car and take H7 bulb out...

ai90.photobucket.com_albums_k262_evocarlos_bulbSmall.jpg

Step 2
now you should just be left with the bulb holder.
This needs to be cut.
I used a cheap dremal from wooly's with a cutting disc in it...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high
still not a failure keep headlights clean and be sure the bulbs are the right ones with the black shades on them and all but most important alignment

The car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.
retro fitted depo and hid bulbs do not count there not factory supplied same for retro fitted headlamp washers

still better to put them in projector headlight for beam patten

MikeS

Former Staff
"the car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective"

so your saying the standard levelling system on a vec or astra is sufficient with HIDs ?

whether they are any good on astra's in terms of the pattern is debatable

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
yes the normal manual levelling system is sufficient
if its fitted at the factory and not working it will fail

factory fitted xenon lights are required by manufacturers to fit auto level and washers after a certain date
and if the parts are not working then it will fail
its not compulsory to fit auto level and washers when using hid's
lamps.JPG
lamps2.JPG
05-12update.JPG

the beam patten must fail in to the proper range when tested as below :)
lights_diagram1.gif

astra22bertoneauto

Your first 2 pics are for Public Service (Bus/coach), Heavy goods and agricultural vehicles - Are you saying private cars (PLG) are now tested in these categories?

Surely a HID bulb would still fail as its likely to cause dazzle when dipped in a standard headlight?!

MikeS

Former Staff
open to debate m8 - i bet if you took your car to a stealership for a mot they pick u up on it

the normal hid bulbs in standard astra's are s**te due to the pattern, they go everywhere, the bulbs with the tops sprayed to reduce glare are not that effective, it is not the bulbs but the headlight

they were awesome in a veccy B though, looked like old bill lol

astra22bertoneauto

open to debate m8 - i bet if you took your car to a stealership for a mot they pick u up on it

the normal hid bulbs in standard astra's are s**te due to the pattern, they go everywhere, the bulbs with the tops sprayed to reduce glare are not that effective, it is not the bulbs but the headlight

they were awesome in a veccy B though, looked like old bill lol

I know what you mean - neverending debate. But interestingly i found this on another website: -

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.
In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above."

Got this from here http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/tp/hid-kits-new-legislation-2012

If the above is true, where does it state that HID bulbs must be used in an approved headlight unit in the MOT handbook? Seems one contradicts another......

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Your first 2 pics are for Public Service (Bus/coach), Heavy goods and agricultural vehicles - Are you saying private cars (PLG) are now tested in these categories?

Surely a HID bulb would still fail as its likely to cause dazzle when dipped in a standard headlight?!
your right i got the wrong pics :)

but it think its bs the hole hid and washers levels ive had hids on my car 6 and a bit years when the above guide was writen
never once failed the mot on alignment or for not having washers/levelers and i know 3 local people who run hids in standard lamps that never fail to get there mot must be down to the mot center

astra22bertoneauto

but it think its bs the hole hid and washers levels ive had hids on my car 6 and a bit years when the above guide was writen
never once failed the mot on alignment or for not having washers/levelers and i know 3 local people who run hids in standard lamps that never fail to get there mot must be down to the mot center

It is a load of bs! they need to have 1 set of rules set by both the dft and vosa. Ive heard some have passed mot but then later on they have been pulled by the fuzz because they're fitted.

Daz

Former Staff
I havnt tested for a few years now, so not upto date on the regs, but i'm pretty sure that if hids are fitted they must be in projector style lamps , have auto levelers and washers... will check with my colleauge in work 2moz and see what he says.

Daz

Former Staff
Ok.. had a word with mot man in work 2day.. he showed me the speical notice for the new rules which come into force tomorow(20/03/2013)

Then we went on the mot computer to see what failures are on there..

Now from what i read, if you have hid's fitted from standard and they have auto levelers and washers, they have to work.
There was no failures for aftermarket fitted hid's fitted into non projector headlamps, or any headlamp as it happens.
As for washers and levellers needing to be fitted to aftermarket hid's there is no mention of it at all or any failures that i could see.

Now the only reason i could see aftermarket hids being failed is the beam image, as they are not designed to be fitted in normal lamps hence dazzling other road users may come into it.
Saying that i had hids in both mine and alys coupes for 3 years or more and the image was spot on..

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i knew about this for years as its the same rule for cats
cars made before 1 august 1992 that came with out cats did not require them for mot even if one was fitted by the owner
cars made after 1 august 1992 the came from the factor with cats required a working cat for the mot

basically if it comes from the factory with it installed it needs to be working for mot its all check thur vin numbers now
car manufacturers are required to install headlamp washers and auto levels on factory fitted xenon lights

Daz

Former Staff
How about a 2002 opel zafira 2.0 petrol.. does it need a cat ?? to pass an emmsions test