Factory Xenon Headlight Conversion.

Maverick

Well its the last day of the year, and as it was dry I pulled the Astra out of the garage.

I have been planning to do a proper Xenon headlight conversion on the Astra, So I gathered all the parts needed and set to work!

Parts Needed

A pair of Astra Xenon Headlights
D2S HID Kit
Indicator Bulbs for the headlights
Xenon Bulb Retaining Clips
H7 Main Beam Bulbs
Loom Adaptors or Central Door Locking Plugs - I decided to buy the proper Adaptors.

aimg337.imageshack.us_img337_8662_65777465.jpg

There are a few jobs to do to the headlights before I started on the car itself.

Remove the indicator cap and fit the indicator bulb.

aimg705.imageshack.us_img705_5301_48634484.jpg

aimg38.imageshack.us_img38_4402_37432125.jpg

aimg202.imageshack.us_img202_606_23381848.jpg

Then fit the Xenon D2S Bulbs and fit the Retaining Clip. Once this was done, I also fitted the Loom to the Xenon Bulband fed it out of the headlight.

aimg641.imageshack.us_img641_6048_21229790.jpg

Once this is done, fit the H7 main beam bulbs to the new headlights, the original main beam bulbs do not appear to fit the new lights.

Once this is done, remove the retaining clip for the headlight adjustment. This will be thrown away as the original electric adjustment motors from the original headlights will be fitted to the Xenon headlights.

aimg513.imageshack.us_img513_12_58898321.jpg

Then on to the car itself.

I decided to remove the four plugs with enough loom to re-fit in the future if required.

aimg17.imageshack.us_img17_7664_47265703.jpg

I have decided to solder each jopint and in effect make a new loom to make it all look as factory as possible.

So each wire was connected in turn.

aimg585.imageshack.us_img585_6092_66248351.jpg

aimg39.imageshack.us_img39_9641_62550094.jpg

The finished loom modification.

aimg692.imageshack.us_img692_1551_54038007.jpg

I then fitted the Ballasts to the bottom of the headlights like they do at the factory and soldered the power and earth to the car's dipped beam loom.

Then once everything was checked and checked again, each light was checked and all worked as it should.

aimg24.imageshack.us_img24_2582_36661168.jpg

aimg36.imageshack.us_img36_8812_78191583.jpg

aimg441.imageshack.us_img441_5724_20188159.jpg

Very pleased as the extrerior is now complete (Well Hopefully!!)

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Another fine job there Matt. Attention to detail is great. If a jobs worth doing then its worth doing well!

(y)

Maverick

Daz said:
Looking good....

Are u fitting the auto levellers too?....

I did look into it, but it is too involved. I havent got the loom at the back of the car, so will stick with the manual electric adjustment.

Daz

Former Staff
YOu may have issues mot time(unless ure tester is of the freindly type) hids fitted to cars from jan have to be fitted in projector style lights and have washers and be auto leveling.. you have 2 out of the 3 ..

Maverick

Daz said:
YOu may have issues mot time(unless ure tester is of the freindly type) hids fitted to cars from jan have to be fitted in projector style lights and have washers and be auto leveling.. you have 2 out of the 3 ..

I have already looked in to this, it will be fine unless the headlights are out.

Our Freelander has Xenons, and although they check the alignment, auto adustment has never been looked at. I would argue if it came up. It can't fail if the headlights are in line. The headlight washer system is not actually law for aftermarket conversions. I didnt realise this until I looked into it.

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Isn't the whole point of auto levellers to level out the headlights when you have a load up in the boot which would affect the level of the beam on the road? Heavy load in the boot would result in the beam shining higher into the oncoming road user. The auto levellers would correct this. So this isn't technically an alignment issue??

As you've maintained the OE manual electric leveller will this still count as acceptable?

stu-2.2-sri

So u cut up all the wire inside the xenon and use the hid kits as I was thinking that too to mine a my xenon on vectra are poo so heard that 55w hid n xenon are better

So r ur 55w u done a grand job there

Maverick

I didn't touch the wiring inside the headlight for the Xenon part. Just modified the back cover to allow the HID kit loom to exit the headlight.

astra22bertoneauto

JohnnyN said:
Isn't the whole point of auto levellers to level out the headlights when you have a load up in the boot which would affect the level of the beam on the road? Heavy load in the boot would result in the beam shining higher into the oncoming road user. The auto levellers would correct this. So this isn't technically an alignment issue??

As you've maintained the OE manual electric leveller will this still count as acceptable?

I may be wrong but I thought the whole point of auto levellers is for when travelling uphill and also over the crest of a hill. The auto levellers kick in so the lights do not blind the oncoming vehicles. Am i correct? notsure.gif

I have also obtained a set of shark eye headlights and have found i could use the d2s bulbs and ballast from an omega hid light. Advantage of this is you can plug the dipped beam directly into the ballast. Downside is finding a suitable place for the ballast.

As always thou an excellent how to guide. Was it easy to fit the adjustment motors? also could I have the part numbers for the indicator bulbs and loom adaptor please?

Matt

Administrator
astra22bertoneauto said:
I may be wrong but I thought the whole point of auto levellers is for when travelling uphill and also over the crest of a hill. The auto levellers kick in so the lights do not blind the oncoming vehicles. Am i correct? notsure.gif
I think you are correct. Nothing worse than being blinded by a set of HIDs on the crest of a hill

Maverick

astra22bertoneauto said:
JohnnyN said:

I have also obtained a set of shark eye headlights and have found i could use the d2s bulbs and ballast from an omega hid light. Advantage of this is you can plug the dipped beam directly into the ballast. Downside is finding a suitable place for the ballast.

As always thou an excellent how to guide. Was it easy to fit the adjustment motors? also could I have the part numbers for the indicator bulbs and loom adaptor please?

I'll get the part numbers for you, but they come to £30 + VAT! My HID kit was only £49 so may be worth buying a complete kit as you know you will have everything right.

Once I figured it out, the adjusters were very easy to take out and switch over to the new headlight.

Maverick

Matt said:
astra22bertoneauto said:
I think you are correct. Nothing worse than being blinded by a set of HIDs on the crest of a hill

As far as I am aware, the auto levelling is for when the car is loaded up. But I may be wrong, this is what an MOT tester told me.

Daz

Former Staff
Yes its for when the car is loaded up. Also it alters the height of the beem whilst goin over speed bump etc so it doesnt dazzle other road users.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Daz

Former Staff
Just browsing the net and came across the new rules for the mot... this one stood out.,

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

astra22bertoneauto

Daz said:
Just browsing the net and came across the new rules for the mot... this one stood out.,

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

Does it say if it has to be an automatic system or if the manual level adjustor switch by headlight switch is sufficient?

I suppose it boils down to the induvidual MOT tester on the day.......

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i like this so much its going to be the next thing for my astra once i finish the rear end restoration
is there a part number for the plugs ? or do the lights come supplied with them