Update Extra Anti-Spam Measures

Matt

Administrator
I've purchased and installed an extra Anti-Spam add-on for the forum. We are getting a lot of human spammers getting past the currently installed measures, and posting spam links on their own profiles.

This new measure sets minimum criteria before being able to post links in both the home page and about you section.

URL in About Me.png

URL in HomePage.png

I can also set extra criteria for posts / thread titles, but that isn't needed so far as there are no spam posts getting into there.

Matt

Administrator
Just to give you an idea of the amount of registrations we are block before they even get to try the Captcha (I cleared the logs out this morning)
blocks.PNG

Matt

Administrator
OK, so I actually found an issue with the Captcha we use on here. For some reason, it wasn't displaying. This was allowing the bots / spammers who could get past the first line of defense to be able to register. KeyCaptcha was installed, and I haven't touched any of the settings in a while now. The option to use this was missing from the admin section :confused:

I've uninstalled, and re-installed it, and it's working again.

Matt

Administrator
I've totally changed the anti-spam features on here now. We are using something different to the original XenUtiles I had originally installed.

I've also removed KeyCaptcha, as it doesn't display in the current versions of FireFox/WaterFox/Internet Explorer (was only working in Chrome).