Errr.......think mines snapped too 2001 Vectra

Jonny 2.2

Well I found this site but maybe too late :cry:

Coming down the M74 last night at 'bout 70 the car completely died. Forced it into hard shoulder and waited for 80 mins for RAC. RAC guy suspected timing chain failure pretty much straight away. (How he knew I don't know what.. )

Only found out it was a chain not belt on Monday, ....but you cannot blame me i've only had the car for a WEEK !!!!! Its a 2.2 LS Vectra. Not bought from a dealership but from a decent used car garage. There picking it up tommorow to take a look at it. But I am worried they will not know about the the field remedy 1532. Mines a 51 plate and was first registered in NOV 2001. Will take a look at the engine number when I get home.

I AM SICK AS F*** !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon

Jonny 2.2

Thanks mate.......

Yeah I am gonna go home this afternoon and have a look. Litterally found this site an hour or so ago and its information overload. The place where I bought it from are picking it up in the morning and lending me a car. So before its picked up I am gonna look at the bolt like you said and see if the "job" has been done or not. Is there any photo's on here of its location ?

Warranty on the car covers up to £1000 so if its let go its gonna cost me what.. cry..

Anyway..............will let you know what happens.

Jon

Sorry mate just seen the link.....cheers

Gazza

Former Staff
Here is what it should look like

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_camchain1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_camchain2.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v318_markmk_camchain3.jpg

let us know how it goes and welcome to the site glad you are finding it of some use.

Jonny 2.2

So is that what it looks like if the mod has not been done.

Yeah fantastic site, gonna get into it more when I get home tonight.

Jon

BazB

Hi mate, hope it's not the chain.
Had same problem myself recently and turned out to be fuel pipe coming off the top of the fuel pump ( see posting on VVOC ' SRI 150 FUEL PROBLEM' ). Found out since this is quite common.
Breakdown service initially diagnosed timing chain broken on mine too. Fingers crossed anyway.

Gazza

Former Staff
yea thats how it should look if it has been done.you can just make out the little slits in each corner of the nut if these airnt there it has not been done apparantly notsure.gif

Jonny 2.2

Well I have had a look and mine definately has the grooves as mentioned on the tensioner as shown in the piccies. Its going in tommorow first thing so fingers crossed Baz its something like the problem you had with the fuel pipe, I could live with that.

Updates to follow :LOL:

Jon

Gazza

Former Staff
that may be some good news then notsure.gif

surely if the chain would snap you would still have power to the car notsure.gif

i dont mean it would move just lights etc do you have all this as you said it just died ?

Jonny 2.2

gazza1591 said:
that may be some good news then notsure.gif

surely if the chain would snap you would still have power to the car notsure.gif

i dont mean it would move just lights etc do you have all this as you said it just died ?

Yeah I had power to everything, when I turned the key on all dash lights came on as they should except the engine management light (the one in Mark2.2's Avatar) flickered when it came on then stayed on. When it died and I got on the Hard shoulder In my confusion I turned it off and then turned it back on and tried to fire it back up, the starter turned but it didn't sound like it normally does when you start it so I just left it.

The garage have given me a loan car and are taking my Vectra in in the morning. They have already been on to Vauxhall to check for recalls and common known problems with the 2.2 engine. no recalls but guess what came up....yep the cam chain. Vauxhall are not interested at the moment. Garage said they will have to stump up the extra cost over the maximum the warranty will pay out.

Sorry for the long post, you guys on here have been very helpfull and this is a top forum......Thanks and hopefully soon I can post some piccies of my motor with some fine mods (when I get it back what.. )

Jon

Gazza

Former Staff
ah right what did it sound like when you tried to start it ?

i didnt sound like two metal plates grinding togher did it ? notsure.gif

Jonny 2.2

Hooooo........now errrrrrr. what..

It did not sound right but I cannot really explain it. Every time I have started it before this event it started instantly and boomed into life, after it broke down and I turned the key it sounded as though I had run it out of petrol and it was trying to fire without any fuel. It did not sound nasty but it did not sound great either. Bit vauge I know but this is the first petrol car I have had in a long time, been running Astra 2.0DTI SXI for a few years and had loads of diesel motors before that. My bikes are petrol, but sod all like the lump in the Vectra :oops:

Jon

Gazza

Former Staff
ah i only said that as i had mine about a week and went out for a spin and it died just down the end of the road.i tried to restart it and i got this grinding noise,i thought oh no chain but it turned out to be the flywheel had come off.

Jonny 2.2

Man I hope its something...............anything.......just not the chain. The loan car the garage gave me is an L reg Mazda Xedos 6 what.. notsure.gif But at least its got a 2.0 V6 engine so its still a little fruity, handles like a barge though :roll:

Jon

BazB

Sounds exactly like the problem I had, car tried to start but wouldn't fire up. Found no fuel getting through to rail so worked back through fuses, relays etc. Eventually decided it must be the pump (located under rear seat). After finally getting the lid off, found the short upper rubber hose had come off the top of the pump. Had a bit of a job getting the lid back on but a very thin coat of graphite grease on the sealing ring did the job.
Hope this is all that's wrong with yours.

Jonny 2.2

Did you have a faint smell of fuel in the car Baz at any time when you had your fault, over the weekend I did in my motor but thought nothing of it ?

Jon

BazB

Didn't notice a smell of fuel at the time but there sure was after I did the job! I could hear a faint whir from under the seat when I tried to start it so new the pump was trying, but there was no fuel coming out of the pressure release valve.
The rubber hose to the top of the pump is very short, easy to think you pulled it off removing the cover, if you go down this route lift it off carefully.

Jonny 2.2

Thanks for that Baz, I am learning loads about these engines, but for now and possibly the entire time I own the motor I ain't touching it ......... somebody else will work on it, I am sticking to spannering bike engines, nice and simple :wink:

Jon

cphaza

Hope your next post is one of good news jonny.

Right, i coulkd realy do with a bit of clarification here guys so im gonna try and stick to the point. Ive been over all websites/forums and seem to get alot of different scenarios so trying to gather the correct acurate answers in one place for all to se. Ok, here it is:

1. It seems that quoting recall numbers and reading chasis numbers/engine numbers means bugger all when calling vaux as they just say you dont have a problem so forget about it. Other people have had this info told to them yet they have broken lumps or now have broken lumps since. Am i right?

2. Assuming that this is the case, what are the sure proof tell tale signs that my engine needs the upgraded bits? Does the flecks on the bolt as shown in previous pictures mean that the dodgey tensioners and oil jets have both been done or just the tensioner?

3. If not, what is the best way for me to tell? im guessing that if it doesnt have the flecks on that bolt then the chain cover has probobley never been removed from new and will need the upgrade. If it does, can i look at the chain and tell? Someone told me the chain in the replacement kits are silver and the old ones are brown, or maybe thats the links that are coloured. Can anyone confirm this?

4. Has anyone had vauxhall do the upgrade for free BEFORE the trouble has started? Might this be the best course of action? Im thinking they may realise that it is cheaper now than offering 80% of cost when it goes tits up.

5. Does anyone have the official numbers for chassis/engine number which are supposed to be affected. Read three diffeernt sets of numbers on different forums already today!

many thanks guys, concise answers to these questions will clear up alot of panic posting on lots of sites as people like me sh1t themselves!

P.S Mine in a 2.2LS KG51 reg, 43k, engine number:11005285 Chassis: wolojbf6817074871. It was made by zee garmins!

Cheers me old muckers!