Engine Issue

quaver60

Hi, new to here so not sure of the format, i own a 52 plate 2.2 zafira elegance that i love to drive, it has developed a strange issue that i cant sort wonder if anyone can shed some light. Started car and could feel engine vibration through the car, on driving when you reach approx 3000 revs on acceleration there is a throaty roar from the engine, that wasnt there before. had it up on ramps could not hear or feel any exhaust blows so assume noise is induction roar rather than exhaust, the only thing that i had done few days leading to this was to remove the air filter assembly including pipes that go to engine etc disconnecting the little electric connecter that goes to the pipe that gets warm air from the exhaust manifold, all went back the same and was connected started first time but did instantly stall but thenm started again and was fine from then on. this vibration and noise developed after approx 4 days, had full service done on it and the mechanic put it on computer but no faults showed up and the only thing he noticed was that on tick over the revs were approx 200 rpm lower than the norm so idle little rough but minor. car has done 97000 miles full service history, and runs and pulls well still. Any ideas would be welcomed, as dont want tro just start fitting new stuff thats not broke. have few poss theories but thought id ask here first
cheers

brchippy

Perhaps its sucking in air, bypassing the air filter. Could make sure air filter top is correctly seated, and that all the pipe clips are tight.
Check for cracks /splits in pipes between engine and air filter box.
If its sucking in air bypassing the filter then it could tick over rough, and possibly sound throaty with more revs.
I had a car (not a Vauxhall) were a pipe had splits in the bottoms of the corrugations ,taking in more air and idle terrible, new pipe fixed it.
Worth rechecking the parts you disconnected/removed.

vocky

Staff
have you had both chains replaced ?

sounds like a chain has slipped and at 97k they both need changing.

quaver60

Perhaps its sucking in air, bypassing the air filter. Could make sure air filter top is correctly seated, and that all the pipe clips are tight.
Check for cracks /splits in pipes between engine and air filter box.
If its sucking in air bypassing the filter then it could tick over rough, and possibly sound throaty with more revs.
I had a car (not a Vauxhall) were a pipe had splits in the bottoms of the corrugations ,taking in more air and idle terrible, new pipe fixed it.
Worth rechecking the parts you disconnected/removed.
Thanks for the response, i told the mechanic what i had taken off and he removed and checked all that when fitting new air filter etc, and found nothing wrong but i will check again just to be sure thanks.

quaver60

have you had both chains replaced ?

sounds like a chain has slipped and at 97k they both need changing.

That was something we had thought of but would it not show something on the ecu? is this a common thing on this engine ? and would it still have lots of ull, i thought it would of made it sluggish. Is it a big job and what sort of price should i be expecting to pay to do the chains and associted bits? any advice is welcome
thanks

quaver60

Thanks for the responses, vocky, is that right they should be replaced at 97000? could see nothing in service book to change chains,but if they should be changed guess they could be the problem, have seen comments in forum about guy called Benny who bit of chain wizard can anybody tell me how to contact him for quote and whats his location im in essex. Cheers

S

SPARKYSRI150

benny is in west mids. There are a lot of people that would be able to fit your chains more locally than that! and of course with the issues that youve got you dont want to be driving it all that way! Im sure someone will be along to help you soon! i would offer my services as only in kent but really tied up at the mo! good lucktho fella hope you get it sorted!

Matt

Administrator
Benny no longer does chains :(

There are a few members on here who could do it for you though.

vocky

Staff
chains last 100,000 miles or ten years, whichever comes first. So most z22se engines need both chains replacing now due to age.