Z22SE Engine dying now won't start :(

KevinH

If it is a genuine GM down pipe (either part # 24434669 or superseded by 24461058) then it will have a pre-cat but some aftermarket down pipes don't have the pre-cat fitted for some reason. :)

I would not have a clue lmao I just mean I don't remember seeing anything like any of the pics I've seen of it. Not to say it's not there of course lol. Pre cat destruction will be first new job seeing as I have to get the mani off anyway to fully patch this crack. Then it'll be air box/resonator destruction. Got bored earlier so already did the little vacuum pipe job. Just got to get a panel filter at some point and I think that's all the little jobs done. Got a list somewhere lol I'll have to check lol.

Many thanks to CorsaZ22se for prompt dispatch to his front gate lol. K&N panel filter all fitted now :) and while I was there removed silly trumpet doohicky and shortened intake to airbox. Just got to remove the grille and/or bumper to sort the rest. Now do I cut the tubing behind the bumper and completely remove the resonator then fit the 2 pieces together or simply cut the tubing? That bit hasn't been clear on any of the guides I could find. It seems you remove the resonator but no mention as to what to do after apart from "refit" lol.

On a slightly separate note has anyone had coil packs repeatedly die on them? I fitted new Bosch triples (recommended by Euro Car Parts) and shortly after my coil pack (as I found out after replacing crankshaft sensor and the car being off the road for almost a week) had died. Now I tested the coil pack and got no spark as mentioned in the previous posts and got a new coil pack. The first replacement started killing 1 or more cylinders randomly until I discovered that by pulling the transformer bit on the top towards the front of the car it ran fine but pushing it toward the back of the car cut the cylinders down. I bent the pins a little and proceeded to Euros and got a replacement even though it actually seemed to work fine. The 2nd replacement was fine at first. Then after a day or 2 of heavy testing (lol) it too died at KFC but luckily I recognised the symptoms and had a fiddle and got it working. On closer inspection it too had died the same way as the original coil pack; the middle of the 3 pins had lost contact with that metal plate in the connector block. Now after much deliberation and thinking what a retarded system it was in the first place when inspecting the orifinal coil pack, I butchered the second replacement and used terminal blocks to permanently fix the pins to the plates and the plates to the other pins, effectively eliminating any possible future problems but also voiding my warranty.

Some questions (as I know you all love my questions lol)

Question 1:
Has anyone else ever had coil packs die one after another?

Question 2:
What the hell do I do if it DOES fail again?

Question 3:
Are there any other coil packs that are a little more likely to withstand the temperatures under the bonnet and not fail? As I'm pretty sure the original and 2nd replacement packs both melted the connector block's middle plate til there was no connection! (The plate wasn't visible from the engine side of the connector block, just from the transformer side.)

Confused.com

The car has only done 81k, and the engine has done approx 48k. I just couldn't afford to buy one new from Vauxhall and didn't think a second hand one would be any good. Seriously thought they'd supply suitable kit. Can't believe it. Paid 100 quid for my new one and now I find out I shouldn't have bothered.

Do you reckon it'll be OK assuming my fix holds up or is it likely to just burn out or sumat?

Surely the fact the 2nd new pack died in exactly the same way in exactly the same style as the original says sumat? If it was a GM one originally. An if it wasn't, why wasn't it?

KevinH

Many of the aftermarket and cheaper pattern coil packs don't have the proper CSI (compression sense ignition) sensor that allows the control module to determine the camshaft position without a separate camshaft position sensor (which the Z22YH for example has on the exhaust camshaft sprocket).

I believe Delphi manufacture the genuine GM Z22SE coil packs (someone else might like to confirm that).

You could see if the first coil pack you took of has a GM 8 digit part number on it, as all genuine parts are stamped or labelled.

:)

K thanks. Just checked and it has no part number stamped or anything. And it doesn't have the grey spark plug rubbers it has black ones. But I don't understand why that same pin is dying on these coil packs?! Might just have to get one off eBay and hope it doesn't fail also. Damn Delphi ones are over 200 quid :(

corsaZ22se

delphi do make them for gm.
are you sure the earth point on coil pack is good and clean? its one of the 4 bolts that holds it to the cam cover.
also is the earth strap good to the cam cover from back of head?