eml coming on after pre cat removal.

cav24v

As the title says my eml will come on every few days since I had a new cat without pre cat fitted.
Its showing no codes on my smartphone so I reset it then it comes back on again after a few days.
Any ideas?
I did read on one thread about the ecu needing to adapt,what is this & does it mean that it will eventually stop coming on?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
is it an aftermarket cat ? (sports cat or cheaper version)

you may need to fit a lambda elbow i had to when i removed the main cat ""no pre cat installed""

cav24v

Its just a standard replacement cat from my local factors,they managed to get one without the pre cat.
Made by BM catalysts.

Last edited:

IDI AMIN

It could be that the people who fitted the cat fitted one for a pre 2000 year after that the cars are supposed to be type approved cat they both look the same but there is maybe a difference in price of 50 quid and a letter H at the end of the part number this is how you tell the difference
I have this problem , a mate with a snap on diagnostics told me the computer says faulty cat which i would say is related to this type approved nonsense some people have fitted them without reporting any problems some are unlucky. so if you never fitted it yourself you should go back and tell them about your problem

cav24v

I deliberately bought a non type approved cat to replace my old cat when the flexi broke,it saved me some money & the hassle of removing the pre cat.
My local garage fitted off the books as I don't think they wanted it coming back to them.
I only managed to get the non type approved cat because we have been dealing with the local factors for 30 odd years now.
Other factors wouldn't supply one.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
you need to get the live readings of the lambdas and see if they're the same with the engine running
if they are just fit an elbow to make the reading different :)

cav24v

Thanks but I wouldn't have a clue how to do that!
I'm a bit more old school than that,ask me to strip then re-build a bobcat or an Essex then fine,lol.

Matt

Administrator
You'll need opcom to be able to read the live values from the sensors. Might just be easier to fit a spacer in the first instance.

cav24v

Lol,I was about to say If I was to assume that the live readings are the same,which sensor do I fit the elbow to,what size is it & which would be better an elbow or an extension.