Update Email alerts

Matt

Administrator
I've been seeing an increase in errors with mail sent via the current email service I was using. I've decided to switch to Amazon SES and it's all up and running now.
You shouldn't notice any difference, as I can see mails being sent out OK.

KevinH

Just to follow up, it's been working for me as I've been receiving emails from conversations and the email regarding weekly top threads and posts. (y)

Matt

Administrator
The should be going out now. You can always check what threads you are subscribed to as well.

HarleyPete

I am on everyday several times a day (more than that other "Social Network" lol. I found out the reason for my lack of emails, I use outlook to get my emails from my website host. However, I didn't realise that the mailbox had a 500Mb limit which I'd reached. Sorted that out by upgrading (for free) to a 2Gb one instead and making sure no emails are left on the server.

Matt

Administrator
That's why I use Gmail got my own domain name email. £3 and I don't have to worry about anything, and get 30gb of storage for the mail account.

HarleyPete

Still not trusting in all this cloud stuff etc. I prefer at least some semblance of control over some things. I've had my web package since 2001.

Matt

Administrator
I've actually become quite a fan of a good Cloud setup. It has to be a proper Cloud though, and not just a fancy PR scheme for a normal setup.

HarleyPete

What puts me off is the possibility of loosing stuff if there storage goes wrong. I know that can happen at home but it's less likely I would think.

Matt

Administrator
What puts me off is the possibility of loosing stuff if there storage goes wrong. I know that can happen at home but it's less likely I would think.
They offer a very good 99.999% SLA. The likes of Amazon / Microsoft and Google are the only ones I would (and do) use.

HarleyPete

Have heard some stories about Google suddenly charging people a few years back and denying them access to their stuff until they paid for the service (that was friends in the states and I think it was business related maybe).

Matt

Administrator
Have heard some stories about Google suddenly charging people a few years back and denying them access to their stuff until they paid for the service (that was friends in the states and I think it was business related maybe).
The Gmail account I have are for my own domain names, so they are paid for anyway.